We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new here...thinking of Jamaica for our next vacation

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
554 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
new here...thinking of Jamaica for our next vacation

Hi,

Thinking of Negril's 7 mile beach for our next annual vacation. I'm already starting to research it since we just got back from Isla Mujeres last week LOL. (I can't help it, it's my favorite thing to do)

We are thinking of maybe NOT going all-inclusive this time. Someone told us of White Sands hotel on 7 mile beach. We like happy hours durring the early evening (ex. 4pm - til ?).

Are there inexpensive places to eat and drink in that area? We don't want to pay $4 a beer/drink...if that's the case, we'd go AI again.

Thanks in advance!!

K

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
557 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: new here...thinking of Jamaica for our next vacation

Go to Negril Gardens or Merrils2 and go AI. They are both centrally located on the 7 mile beach where the action is. You could also go to Point Village AI for a quieter vacation because it's at the end of the 7 mile beach. Either that or go real cheap (there's plenty of clean places to sleep for $60 a night) and budget $50-$100 a day for 2 of you for eating, drinking, taxi's, entertainment, etc. depending on how much you like to eat and drink and party.

It's all in what you want. If you want to decide where you will eat every morning and evening and then go there, don't go AI. If you like to relax more and not worry where you will eat or drink, then go AI.

And the reviews of Negril Gardens and Merrils2 are pretty good. I've stayed at both (but not AI) and liked them both.

southern, illinois
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new here...thinking of Jamaica for our next vacation

Also check Coral seas beach resort through negril one stop. Check out the King and Queen package, pretty good deal

Negril
Level Contributor
195 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new here...thinking of Jamaica for our next vacation

Red Stripe is $100 jamaican dollars at Errol's Sunset Cafe and Guesthouse on the beach. $60ja =$1.00, so it is $1.50usd. White Sands is a bit motelish. Check out the Guesthouse at Errol's for inexpensive, safe, clean rooms. Also, Kuyaba guestrooms. The restaurant is a little pricey for Negril, but well worth it and their rooms are very reasonable.

Food and drinks can be very inexpensive in Negril. Be prepared to pay cash for best prices.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new here...thinking of Jamaica for our next vacation

Agree White Sands is a bit motelish, though some rooms are better than others and the location is great.

Eating and drinking is what you want it to be...on the beach at a hotel is most expensive (though there are deals), across the street and in town are much cheaper.

Baltimore
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: new here...thinking of Jamaica for our next vacation

Hi Claudia,

I just got back from Negril Gardens, but I've stayed at Rondel Village (which is not all inclusive). If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer any for you -

fanoftravlin@hotmail.com

White Sands is just okay, there's no comparison between White Sands and the other 2 hotels.

Oakville
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: new here...thinking of Jamaica for our next vacation

If you're not going AI prepare to be roped off for absolutely every concievable thing that exists on a beach vacation. If AI, once you leave your domain your 'open season' for sales/hussle by locals. One guy asked a local dip to snap his & her picture with his camera, after the loco demands $100 Jam cash. The guy gives him a $1000 Jam and asks his change. The loco refused...took his $18 US, and weasoled off. Wanted to kick butt, too much of a risk. Typical 1/4 jerk chicken meal with a beer is like $11...even at a road side quicky. After say 10pm the beach is practically deserted as far as walking since most are overdosed on "no thanks" all day. I found the whole scene totally overated. There are awesome beaches in many other places that blow this one away with less hassle and less cost...wheather AI or going local. Its claim to fame is lame...easy to get ganga or rails. Their attitude to visitors at most clubs there is BS also. The boneheads taking cover charges think their doing you a favor letting you in to spend more of your dough. Just my humble opinion of course.

Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
554 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: new here...thinking of Jamaica for our next vacation

Thanks for all of your replies. It kind of sounds to me that going AI is the way to go. Would someone recomend a good web site to visit (I like this one but, I like to have a couple other sites to check out as well)?

Also, if we're going to go AI, it will have to be a BIG place as hubby likes to explore. Some place with at least 4 restaurants and bars to pick from. That's why we were thinking of NOT going AI, so that we could have more choices. I'm content on the beach or by the pool drinking cocktails all day...lol, but hubby gets bored easily.

I'm sorry to hear that once you leave the resort, you get hounded by vendors. I don't mind it that much but, it can get bothersome if I just want to relax by the ocean.

Thanks again :)

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: new here...thinking of Jamaica for our next vacation

Claudia, some will tell you you get hassled by vendors - others will say the opposite. We stayed at Fun Holiday (non AI). The jet ski rental guys and the bartenders did a wonderful job of screening the vendors - If you wanted to interact, you did - If you didn't, they moved the vendors along.

If you like to get out and explore, I wouldn't recommend AI - there are many wonderful places to eat and explore - A polite "no thank you" works for most vendors. I would check out www.negril.com - the where to stay link has maps and links to beach and cliff hotels.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
557 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: new here...thinking of Jamaica for our next vacation

pirate00

You said, "There are awesome beaches in many other places that blow this one away with less hassle and less cost...wheather AI or going local."

Please name some of these other beaches and the towns/countries they are located near. I'm always interested in the location of great beaches :o)

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: new here...thinking of Jamaica for our next vacation

Claudia, for every one person that complains about certain aspects of their trip to Jamaica there are one hundred in this forum who would go back tomorrow if they could.

I would whole-heartedly recommend a place like Merrils II or Negril Gardens for a nice relaxing AI. I have been to Merrils once before and I am returning with my whole family in April and I would be happy to answer any questions about the hotel or Negril in general.

Irie!