We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping & gifts at Couples Swept Away

montreal quebec...
Level Contributor
194 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
tipping & gifts at Couples Swept Away

Dear fellow TA Members,

I was reading on the couples resort site and they say no tipping allowed. I can't believe we can go on a holiday without tipping. The people work so hard. In the past we have always given gifts like little chocolates from canada or maple syrup from canada etc and money everyday to the maid and also some of our favorite bartenders and waiters.. Does anyone know if they are just posting this as often holiday resorts do not to make anyone feel obligated?

Many Thanks we leave for CSA in november..

rick and judie

montreal canada

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping & gifts at Couples Swept Away

We just came back from Couple Negril. It is true, tipping is strongly frowned upon, and will be discussed during your orientation. We did leave tips on our last day. They will explain other methods to acknowledge those who provide exceptional service. And service.....is Exceptional !!

America, The...
Level Contributor
8,400 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping & gifts at Couples Swept Away

Hi Rick and Judie,

They really mean it when they say, "no tips." The staff can be fired if caught taking a cash tip. Exceptions to this are the drivers of the vans who take you to and from the airport and the spa staff. You can give staff members non-cash gifts, but they need to have your name and room number on them, plus the name of the intended staff member. I'm sure they would love your Canadian gifts. And, I hope you have a wonderful time at CSA...my favorite place on earth!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,069 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping & gifts at Couples Swept Away

The best thing you can do for the staff at Couples is to fill out the comment cards and give a special mention to those what went above and beyond. I also send an email to the GM after my stay thanking those that made my stay special.

Couples does not "strongly frown upon" tips, rather they are clear that tipping is not permitted and that employees caught accepting tips will be fired. I really do not understand why some feel a need to ignore this policy as it is not in the best interest of the employee. IMO and IME as a long time fan of Couples, the policy should be respected.

Gifts are permitted and I concur with the previous poster who suggested you leave a note with the gift indicating who it is for so that the employee has something to show if asked.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,869 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping & gifts at Couples Swept Away

Please do not tip at Couples resorts. They are very serious about this issue. You put staff jobs at risk if you do.

The best thing to do is mention staff by name on your comment card.

5. Re: tipping & gifts at Couples Swept Away

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:53 pm, March 29, 2011
Edited: 3:53 pm, March 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping & gifts at Couples Swept Away

One of the best things that you can do for any of the staff that you feel go above and beyond is to remember them on your comments card when you leave.

Comments left influence their promotions, bonuses, salaries, etc.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping & gifts at Couples Swept Away

To: Rick and Judie

I just read one of your post and realize you might be interesting on HOW others have followed their hear at these places not IF. You are not bound by rules but principles. So bought any dog treats yet:-)))))))))

I have been to Couples San Souice and tipped discretely. I have done it at the end giving it in a warm embrace. The tip went into the bussom which is considered off limits most Jamaican ladies. I have also met the employees outside the gate, which was on their time. There is no rule against going off property IF your heart desire. These employees earn $75US per week for 6 days and 12 hours days. Yes, 6-8 percent of what you pay goes in tip in a country with twice the cost of living in the US. Durning off peak time when occupany is lower, pay checks can be next to nothing. Salaries are kept low so we can still afford these trip on the sweat of their labor.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,069 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping & gifts at Couples Swept Away

I wonder how one's "principles" would be affected if an employee lost their job because of accepting a tip when their employer specifically prohibits it.

9. Re: tipping & gifts at Couples Swept Away

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:59 pm, March 29, 2011
montreal quebec...
Level Contributor
194 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping & gifts at Couples Swept Away

yes i do understand, however i feel it is unfortunate as i like to think we are grateful enough to be able to holiday that it is nice to maybe help out and "share the wealth" in a matter of speaking... I will respect the properties requests and just bring some nice canadian gifts for some people who make a difference to us..

thanks again

rick and judie

montreal canada