We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts to staff at Sandals Negril. Okay or not?

TJP
Alberta
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Gifts to staff at Sandals Negril. Okay or not?

I have made up gifts bags for the housekeeping staff and it turns out they are rather large after I got them all together (I got into the gift giving spirit). Is this allowed? I would be so upset if they had to decline them or were to get in trouble if caught with them. I thought if I put a card attached to them with my name and room number it should be okay. Any advice?

Thanks...

One week!!! YAY!!!

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
10,016 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gifts to staff at Sandals Negril. Okay or not?

Hello TJP,

It is most admirable to read how generous you are..

These lovely people will enjoy and appreciate everything that you do for them..

However, it is most important that you present this in the right way.

We Jamaicans are VERY proud people and we do not like to be treated like poor people.

HOW you give these items is going to be just as important as the gifts itself.

Please make sure that any money is in an envelope and handed over in a most discreet but honorable way.

Once you have decided who is going to get what, then please make a list of these items and sign it yourself. Stating that these are GIFTS TO:........ IN APPRECIATION FOR THAT PERSONS KINDNESS.

When that person leaves the hotel compound they must show proof that the gifts have actually been given AND NOT STOLEN.

Hope that you understand this minor but important point. Otherwise it can become a most embarassing problem for the person recieving the gift.

(no need to even mention the cash... it never hapened)

Thank you.... ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY....

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gifts to staff at Sandals Negril. Okay or not?

JBG...What would be considered a good gift for staff at Sandals, for their kindness? I too would like to give back to those who take care of us. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

TJP
Alberta
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gifts to staff at Sandals Negril. Okay or not?

Thank you so much for your reply, it helps me completely. I will be sure not to offend anyone.

Another question has come up. Is it necessary to get hepatitis shots before we go? I wasn't concerned about it, but someone has suggested we do so for a precaution.

Thanks again... Take care.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gifts to staff at Sandals Negril. Okay or not?

TJP...can I ask you what are some of the gift you are going to give?

Thanks,

killdeer beach
Level Contributor
218 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gifts to staff at Sandals Negril. Okay or not?

TJP

I am from Alberta and am also going to be at Sandals but not until April I am glad that you asked the question on gifts as I did not know what to due as I had planned on giving cash but read a post where a Sandals employee got fired for accepting a tip.

I was informed by the health unit that I had to have a hep A shot to go to Jamaica.

TJP
Alberta
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gifts to staff at Sandals Negril. Okay or not?

Bejewelled - I read on numerous posts after asking and it seems shots are just so not needed. Hmmmm.

Rumpilot - I have packed up bags of a variety of bath and body works (shampoo, conditioner, body wash, goats milk bath bar, body lotion, bath puff, hair ties, toothpaste, toothbrush, nail clippers & file sets, bath slippers and a scented candle... then someone told me they REALLY like to get those multi-purpose micro-fibre cleaning cloths, so I through one of them in too.) These are all full size bottles, I figured if I was going to do it, I'd do it big! I have made a bag for each day we are there.

Now I'm hoping to NOT get the same housekeeper every day, because I have some differences in the bags, but all pretty much the same. So it will be repetitious to her if she is cleaning our room day after day. OOPS. I truly hope they will enjoy these products.

Hope this gives you some ideas...

Mayville, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gifts to staff at Sandals Negril. Okay or not?

Hi rumpilot...

Some ideas for the guys would be aftershave/cologne, sports team t-shirts, ball caps, manicure kits, keyrings & steering wheel covers.

Hope this helps :)

LOTL

TJP
Alberta
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gifts to staff at Sandals Negril. Okay or not?

LOTL - Thanks for the reply, I didn't really know what to give men.

We are planning to give the butler cash, but would he appreciate some of these items as well?

Also, does anyone know what is appropriate for tipping the butler? It would be nice to give one lump sum at the end of our stay, but if it's better to do on a daily basis we can do that to.

Thanks...

Mayville, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gifts to staff at Sandals Negril. Okay or not?

Hi TJP...

I'm sure he'd appreciate some of those things listed...you'd be surprised how something that seems small to you, can put a smile on someone else's face :)

Have a wonderful trip!!!

LOTL

North Carolina
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Gifts to staff at Sandals Negril. Okay or not?

Can anyone advise us on gift etiquette at a non-all-inclusive? We always tip like crazy, but were thinking of bringing gifts this time(93 hours till we leave!!) for some of the staff we've gotten to know over several stays at our hotel. Do any of the all-inclusive rules apply for gift-giving? We want to show our gratitude and love, but want to do it the right way... also wonder if just additional cash would be more appreciated than anything, maybe a card or note with cash at the end of our stay...?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!!