We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jamacia in august

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
2 posts
Save Topic
jamacia in august

I want to go to jamacia in august with my husband and 2 16 year old girls. We love thebeach and i want someplace safe for the girls also we want to shop what is the best area of jamacia to stay in and would you recommend a hotel or renting a condo or villa? let me know asap

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,329 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jamacia in august

I see a lot of people on this board wanting to do Jamaica in the summer. Just so you know, you'll get good hotel and probably decent airfares but it is hot, hot, and hotter...humid and hot and hotter. Never experienced this for myself but my friends there have and usually escape...it's pretty quiet (I guess that's good). I can't reccomend places necessarily but if I were going in August even I, Miss Fresh Air, Crunchy Granola, hippy-Northern California chick would definitely make air conditioning a deal breaker.

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jamacia in august

Theresa455,

You have to decide first what part of Jamaica you think you will stay.

1. Montego Bay, plenty of shopping and night life beaches fine.

2. Ocho Rios, plenty of shopping beaches fine, night life but not as much.

3. Negril 7 mile beach, not as much shopping, plenty of night life.

Those are the three main areas though there is much more. If this is your first time then I would say Negril. Plenty of places to stay a little more laid back but a little closer to the real Jamaican experience including excursions.

If you do go in August then the first week would be a good idea to go as it will be "Jamaican Independence Day" on the 6th. Therefore your girls will experience all the Jamaican fun and celebrations.

There is so much to choose from it would be better if you stated whether you prefer an AI hotel or villa/Condo. The latter two give's you more time to move around Jamaica and may work out cheaper. But the AI means things are done for you and you would just have to work around the meal times to fully enjoy your Jamaican experience.