We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mother-in-law coming to wedding--Help!!!

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
milwaukee, wisconsin
6 posts
Save Topic
mother-in-law coming to wedding--Help!!!

I am looking for comments/suggestions. I am getting married at Sandals Montego Bay on Jan 28th. We just found out that my future mother-in-law is coming down for the weekend to attend. She is renting a car and staying at the Travellers Inn in Negril. My question is: Is it safe for a woman to drive alone to Negril? Is Negril safe? My lovely bride was planning on staying in a friends room the night before the wedding; Is it a better idea to have her go to Negril with Mom so she does not have to go alone? Any help/comments/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thank you

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mother-in-law coming to wedding--Help!!!

I'm not sure if your mother in-law has been to Jamaica before, and driven there.

If not I would say tell her to hire transport and it will be less stressful for your wife to be who should be focusing on the day if she has no experience.

The reason being Negril itself is as safe as any where but they really need to be aware of some Jamaican drivers.

CA
Level Contributor
232 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mother-in-law coming to wedding--Help!!!

OHHH, I too would suggest transportation and her not driving. I am an LA driver, and saying driving in Jamaica is a little hectic would be an understatement. PLUS, she will be driving on the opposite side of the road...

And, I may be misreading your post, but the road from MoBay to/from Negril is more hectic, since you can travel at a greater speed and it's single lane each direction.

As far as Negril; the normal rules of travel should be followed and hightened for a woman traveling alone, anywhere. The people are wonderful and kind. However, it's like with any city. Don't take/flash large sums of money, jewelry, wealth, etc. Be aware of your surroundings. Jamaica is much slower pace than the US and the term Jamaica time means, laid back and relaxed, no rush mon - unless you're on the road!

Congrats and have a safe, wonderful trip!

Suz

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mother-in-law coming to wedding--Help!!!

Why doesn't she stay in a hotel in montego bay?

Palm Springs, Ca
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: mother-in-law coming to wedding--Help!!!

That sounds unreasonable of her. Negril is a good hour and half from MB and there is no logic that she should be driving her own car unless she is experienced in Jamaica driving, and even then, why cant she stay closer? Your wife has enough to worry about on her wedding day without driving 1 1/2 hours thru the heat and god knows what else..

I smell a manipulator

So. Wisconsin
Level Contributor
665 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mother-in-law coming to wedding--Help!!!

Find a good driver in Negril and have them deliver the M-I-L safely. Driving in Jamiaca is adventurous to say the least. Maybe even offer to pay for the ride, never no how long you can play that trump card...LOL!

Northern VA
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: mother-in-law coming to wedding--Help!!!

PLEASE have mum-in-law have someone drive her and/or have her stay closer to Montego Bay. It really doesn't sound good. Sounds like it could add un-needed stress to the bride. I know it would stress me out having to worry about my mom driving in Jamaica. She is a nervous wreck driving on 95 North in the US. Jamaica ? Where they drive on the other side of the road ? Oh vay!

Congrats on the upcoming wedding! Getting married in Jamaica sounds awesome. I would love to renew my vows in Jamaica. Probably will down the road.

Peace.

Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mother-in-law coming to wedding--Help!!!

If your mother-in-law happens to be a taxi driver in Manhattan, she'll be just fine.

If she happens to be from Wisconsin, or anywhere else outside of NYC, and hasn't seen Jamaican driving, forgettaboutit.

Driving in Jamaica is a decision to made after being on the roads there for a day. Then she can rent a car if she chooses.

My two cents,

Peter

southern, illinois
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mother-in-law coming to wedding--Help!!!

a mother in law an hour and a half a way , that's pretty lucky

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mother-in-law coming to wedding--Help!!!

DUKEDOG!

LOL, LOL, LOL! You kill me! (make me laugh)

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,839 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mother-in-law coming to wedding--Help!!!

Duke,

I knew who the comment was from before I saw the name.