We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worries about Negril not being all its crakced up to be

FL
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Worries about Negril not being all its crakced up to be

Just saw this review here at Trip advisor:

"This was a great hotel but here are some things to consider before you book:

-The Beach is not more than 2 miles is walking length, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

-The Beach water is not clear like the photo's, go to Cuba if Beaches are your thing."

This really makes my heart sink because I wanted to go to Cuba or DR for the beaches and my wife argued and talked me into Negril. Now I have invested a lot of money into the trip and after seeing reviews like this and talk of all the erosion I am starting to regret my choice. I expected a white-sand crystal clear water beach at Negril, is this not the case?

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,393 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worries about Negril not being all its crakced up to be

It's not 7 miles but it's not 2 either, I'd say 4 or 5. And yes, at times, you'll have to walk in the water because of erosion...but htat changes all the time, by the time you go you may not have to.

The water is crystal clear UNLESS there has been a very recent storm - then seaweed washes in and things get stirred up. I've not seen this last more than 2 days.

Where on the beach will you be staying?

FL
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Worries about Negril not being all its crakced up to be

Hi ohliz,

We have a reservation at Hidden Paradise Beach resort. I read previous posts by you and others raving about Port Antonio. I am half tempted to forget about Negril and try to make my way to Port Antonio from Mo Bay on JUTAs, even though I would lose one night's deposit.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,393 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worries about Negril not being all its crakced up to be

I do love Porty too...but I really have yet to visit an area I don't like, except I'm not so crazy about Ochi and MoBay, even they have their positive points :)

I have photos of Porty, Negril, Treasure Beach and the area to the east of Ochi spanning several years, maybe looking at those will help you decide, and reassure you that htings change a bit over time but not in a way that will mess up your vacation.

www.alink.com/personal/liz/negril - see photo link.

Have you been to Jamaica before?

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Treasure Beach
Treasure Beach
98 Reviews
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worries about Negril not being all its crakced up to be

When I was in Negril in December I walked from the river to Hedo a couple of times and that distance is about 7K, about twice what the poster said it was. The map on this site "Miyard: Negril Natural Resources Map" more or less verifies that. The real question is where do they say that the beach starts and ends?

The water on the cliffs was clear during this time. The water on the beach was pretty clear also.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worries about Negril not being all its crakced up to be

The beach is not 7 miles, it's more like 7k. It is some of the most beautiful beach in the world. Just a warning, Cuba photographs everyone going in and out and if Mr. Immigration man catches you it's a 10K fine. I've heard the DR beaches are filthy. So there.

The sea is crystal clear and as OhLiz said only after a storm does it get muddied up with seagrass and sand. BFD...swim out a bit and you are in the most glorious sea...

Most importantly the vibe in Negril can't be beat. Stop with the buyer's remorse. You are going to have a fabulous time.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
FL
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Worries about Negril not being all its crakced up to be

It is our first time to Jamaica. How do the beaches of the Port Antonio area comapre with those of Negril?

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,393 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worries about Negril not being all its crakced up to be

They're different. Negril is known for two: the "7 mile" (which isn't really 7 but is more than 2) and Bloody Bay, much smaller.

In Portland, the best beaches are east of Port Antonio and most are small. Of the small cove beaches, I've been to Boston (free), Winnifred (free), Frenchmans ($10ish) and San San ($10ish if not included with your hotel/villa). The notable long beach in the area is Long Bay (free) - about a mile long, with waves that are body surfable. The others are usually calm, though Boston can get wavy I'm told, I haven't seen it that way. One non-beach that everyone loves to swim in is Blue Lagoon. In Portland it is useful to have a car to get from place to place. To the west of Port A are some dark and black sand beaches used mainly for fishing, not really cleaned regularly for swimming (Hope Bay, Annotto Bay).

Negril's main beach is lined with bars, hotels (small), restaurants and craft stalls...there is little empty space, but no high rise hotels or fences, the beach is public and free. Most visitors walk along it to eat, drink, shop and just stroll. There are watersports operators along it too. It's almost always clear and calm, as I said, just not during or very soon after a storm. THe bottom is sandy - not much seagrass or rocks at all, and as a result no good beach snorkeling, you take a boat out to the reef for that. A plus - no need for water shoes :)

I haven't been to Portland in stormy weather but I assume that's true there too.

Not far from Negril to the southeast are Little Bay and Lost Beach, swimmable for sure but not manicured palm-tree sorts of beaches, they are used more for fishing also.

Treasure Beach, made up of 4 bays and Fort Charles to the west, has dark sand and often waves and can have rip tides. Some beaches are sandy, some rocky. Great Bay is usually sandy and calm.

Hope that helps :)

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Bloody Bay
Bloody Bay
881 Reviews
Jamaica
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Treasure Beach
Treasure Beach
98 Reviews
Jamaica
FL
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Worries about Negril not being all its crakced up to be

Wow! Nice pics ohliz. The Portland area looks fantastic. Is it really that hard to get to Port Antonio from MoBay on public transportation? The lonely planet guidebook makes it seem relatively easy and straightforward.

Mentioned in this post
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,393 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worries about Negril not being all its crakced up to be

Not HARD, time-consuming. Depends whether you think the trip is an adventure or something to get over with as quickly as possible.

If you go to www.jamaicans.com and click on the Travel section you can locate a series of articles (trip reports) by Bill Evans called "Babylon By Bus" that is a great (and funny) look at traveling around via route taxis and busses. Ithin it's in like 10 parts, you want to read them all but start with Day 1.

FL
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Worries about Negril not being all its crakced up to be

Thanks for all the feedback!