We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to find decent wine in Negril?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to find decent wine in Negril?

My wife and I will be celebrating our 2nd anniversary in Negril and we are big wine drinkers. Is there a liquor store that sells decent wine or should we just bring our own? I know some of the restaurants will sell wine (Norma's, Rockhouse) for dinner, but it is expensive.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to find decent wine in Negril?

My husband and I are fellow wine drinkers. If you are looking for a "special" bottle for your anniversary, then I would suggest taking one with you. We have always been able to find decent wines in Jamiaca, but not that "special" bottle. Being fellow wine drinkers... you know what I mean ;-)

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to find decent wine in Negril?

I remember seeing wine at the grocery store right as you get into downtown Negril. I don't remember how high-quality the selection was, but the quantity on the shelves kind of surprised me!

There would also be a possibility of getting some very good wine duty free at the airport, but I am not sure there are any duty free shops that can be accessed upon arival rather than departure.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to find decent wine in Negril?

Probably one of the two grocery store will be your best bet. There is also a mini shopping mall across the street from Kuyaba that had some shops that sold wine.

southern, illinois
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to find decent wine in Negril?

Take it with you, you might get lucky, but don't count on it.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to find decent wine in Negril?

Yeah thats good advice from Dukedog.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to find decent wine in Negril?

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to purchase a 6pak wine tote before I leave and just take is as carry-on with some of my own bottles. I figure the limit is 2 bottles/person for duty-free. Is there a limit if you want to pay ingoing tax??? I was figuring 6 bottles would hold me for 10 nights. I'll have other items to drink!

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to find decent wine in Negril?

I'm from Sonoma County wine country so my answer is NOWHERE. You cannot get decent wine in Negril ANYWHERE. Bring your own but check the customs limits. I brought in 4 bottles of Russian River Valley Chardonnay for my 40th birthday, smuggled, they never found it.

I stick to Coconut Rum and Pineapple Juice and Red Stripe Light. I go home to have the best wine in the world.

portsmouth/nh and...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to find decent wine in Negril?

Best to bring in your own, but there's some decent, non-plonk wine available at S&S

Liquors/Westgate Plaza and SuperPlus/Bogue Plaza in MoBay en route to Negril. Chilean and Argentine chards and merlots mainly.