We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What gifts to give hotel staff

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
744 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
What gifts to give hotel staff

I'm staying at an all inclusive where tipping is supposedly not allowed. Therefore I'd like to bring some gifts for the staff. Can anyone advise what sort of gifts would be appropriate....I don't want to bring anything patronising if you get what I mean.

I'm thinking for people like housekeeping, if we have a regular waiter etc.

Thanks in advance!

Illinois
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What gifts to give hotel staff

LisaMJ,

I take hair products, perfume or lotion, skin cream..things like that. Maybe something small for their kids. Its always appreciated.

Trance

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What gifts to give hotel staff

Hi Lisa - Great idea

If you are travelling soon, then holiday toys or school supplies for their children are great gifts.

We always find out a little about their families and then select gifts from the goodie-bag that are appropriate for their kids / grandkids ages.

I've also been asked to bring perfume and cosmetics for friends.

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,869 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What gifts to give hotel staff

Hello LisaMJ,

All hotel personel have children, nieces, nephews and family that love these gifts.

 glue sticks

 phonic books

 flash cards

 eductional cd's

 puzzles

 coloring books

 activity books

 construction paper

 jump ropes

 kites & balls

 band-aids

 adult & children's aspirins

 anti-bacteria creams

Candy is big hit with everyone from kids to adults. Especially Raspberry Cream Savers.

Giving cash in a most discreet way is also the best method of showing your appreciation.

Have fun!

Mayville, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What gifts to give hotel staff

For the guys...ball caps, sport team t-shirts, key rings, clip on watches to name a few things!

LOTL

Springfield...
Level Contributor
5,049 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What gifts to give hotel staff

Someone mentioned before to bring flower/veg. seeds. I think this is a great idea. Also, Leave your shampoo, etc. behind when you check out but be sure to leave a note stating what you're leaving.

Johnny,

Why are raspberry cream savers favored over the others?

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
268 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What gifts to give hotel staff

Bring a drip coffee maker and filters. I brough one last time and made the lady I gave it to cry (with happieness). I also brought a big Maglight flashlight and a dozen spare batteries. That was a very happy security guard.

Indiana
Level Contributor
961 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What gifts to give hotel staff

Believe it or not I always bring pocket calendars, that's what is requested! Also gently used paperback novels are appreciated! I also leave my toiletries behind (shampoo, conditioner, any unopened soap, etc.) A handful of suckers are great too! Glad to hear you are planning ahead...have a great trip! (I know you will!)

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,869 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What gifts to give hotel staff

Hello Krim,

Thank you for the complement.

I wish I had the answers to all the questions.

Selecting this flavour is like chosing an ice cream delight. Who knows why some taste beter that others.

In the USA I enjoy Ben & Jerrys the best.

In Jamaica, it must be a homemade rum & raisen or mango or even the soursop is to die for.

If you ever find the answer, please share it with me.

Beverly Shores...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What gifts to give hotel staff

LisaMJ in the UK: In the "old" days, i.e. 1970's we would bring old clothes, bears, other toys, a steam iron and a blender--to give away. Now, regardless of what your resort is saying ALL of the workers will accept $$$$$$$$. Just because it says no tipping, means nothing. You don't tip, you get very little service. When you arrive, get some "J" (Jamaican $) and give it as you need to--and to people that deserve it. Dranging stuff from the UK is a little much. Now paperback, T-Shirts, especially shoes are very much appreciated, as is $$$.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
5,049 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What gifts to give hotel staff

I do not agree that if you don't tip you get very little service. All the cleaning and maintenance staff were more than helpful at our resort. I was apprehensive when we got there because of things I'd read along this line. Let me tell you I was beginning to think I would need to ask them to stop as they were so helpful. The cleaning ladies couldn't do enough and had reported things wrong in our room. One day I had 3 different knocks on the door from different maintenance people to fix things and guess what. I didn't tip any of them. I would leave something for the cleaning lady each day as we didn't have the same cleaning person twice.