We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Negril vs. Couples Negril

DCT
Michigan
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sandals Negril vs. Couples Negril

My husband and I are planning a trip to Negril in March and are trying to decide between Sandals and Couples. We've been to Sandals Ocho Rios and really enjoyed ourselves so we know what to expect for Sandals. Has anyone been to both that can offer some opinions as to which is better?

Also, does Sandals Negril have an area for nude sunbathing?

thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Sandals Negril Beach...
5,902 Reviews
Jamaica
The Caves
The Caves
#2 of 80 hotels in Negril
Tensing Pen Resort
Tensing Pen Resort
#3 of 80 hotels in Negril
Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
477 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Negril vs. Couples Negril

There's no comparison. Go to Couples Negril and I guarantee u that u'll have the most romantic time of ur lives! Did u see my CN pics?

Mentioned in this post
Couples Negril
Couples Negril
4,586 Reviews
Jamaica
DCT
Michigan
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Negril vs. Couples Negril

Thanks MCHOTSIE. No, I didn't see your pics. Where are they?

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
477 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Negril vs. Couples Negril

Here's my pics....and my Couples Negril review is now posted on this site :-)

www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html…

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Negril vs. Couples Negril

mchotsie,

Are you basing this opinion on fact or feeling? I have been to Sandals Negril, but not the Couples and I would never presume to force my feelings of one over the other on anyone without knowledge of both. I think the Sandals/Beaches chain is fantastic and I am sure you feel the same way about the Couples resorts. They both seem to have very loyal customers.

DCT,

I think you need to wait and here from people who have been to both, like you had asked for opinions from, and then make your decision based on the elements that are most important to you. I can tell you that Negril does not have an "area" for nude sunbathing. Some people will go topless, and they won't say anything to them unless another guest complains. However, nude sunbathing is actually frowned upon in the Jamaican culture and it is provided by some resorts because of the foreign clientel.

Whatever you decide, I hope you and your husband have a fantastic time and safe travels!

IrieLady

Mentioned in this post
Sandals Negril Beach...
5,902 Reviews
Jamaica
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Negril vs. Couples Negril

It seems that most opinions on this board favour couples. I have not been to either but have chose Sandals for my wedding in Jan/06..... Yes, I'm being a rebel!!!

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Negril vs. Couples Negril

Neikswedding,

Congrats & "You go, girl"! Sandals Negril really is a lovely place. I promise, you won't be disappointed! How can you go wrong being in a tropical paradise with the one you love?

Mentioned in this post
Sandals Negril Beach...
5,902 Reviews
Jamaica
Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
477 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Negril vs. Couples Negril

I've been to another Sandals on the island...for a friend's wedding bash. I never state things as facts, they're just my opinions. My opinion was that the property, staff, food, drinks, pool, and included activities were far superior at Couples. I don't care for the gigantic Sandals logos everywhere...I just felt like I was at an over-commercialized resort.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Negril vs. Couples Negril

My vote would definately go to Couples Negril too, and I can tell you that quite realistically 9 out of 10 clients and/or travellers on the message boards who have been to both feel the same way.

I don't say that because I'm a "Couples Fan" ... I say that because it's the truth. truth be known, I personally prefer Grand Lido Negril to Couples Negril myself! GLN is a bit higher caliber overall and I prefer the overall feel of the resort to CN which is beautifully lush, but a bit too "man-made" for my taste. I would still choose CN over SN anyday though.

Blessings and respect to all.

Steve

Mentioned in this post
Couples Negril
Couples Negril
4,586 Reviews
Jamaica
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
502 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals Negril vs. Couples Negril

DCT...My wife and I have vacationed at both Sandals Negril and Couples Negril and while both were very nice, we'd give a slight edge to Couples (I probably feel a little stronger about my preference for CN than my wife).

I'll outline some of our observations and preferences below, but first a little about us: We're a couple of "40-somethings" from the Midwest and recently celebrated our 26th wedding anniversary. We've been to a number of all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico we have booked several cruises in recent years. We spent a week at Sandals Negril (SN) in 1999 to mark our 20th anniversary and we vacationed for a week at Couples Negril (CN) earlier this year as part of our 26th anniversary (and to just get away from work, kids, responsibilities, etc.).

Now some general observations:

LOCATIONS: CN and SN are fairly close to one another, both located on the A-1 Highway which, in Negril, is known as Norman Manley Boulevard. If highway noise is a concern to you, you'll want to know that SN is much closer to the pavement than CN. However, CN is closer to the Negril airport, meaning you'll hear an occasional take off and landing (the air traffic was no big deal to us, nor to anyone else that we know of).

ROOMS: Unless you book a suite at SN or CN (like "McHotsie" did...she and her husband honeymooned in an Gardenview Suite which is about twice the size of a standard room), the rooms at both resorts are fairly basic...king-size beds, televisions, balconies, sitting areas, standard bathrooms, CD players/clock radios, telephones, hair dryers, etc. Nothing fancy, but then, we didn't really need anything fancy since we knew we'd be spending most of our time on the beach, in the pool, or in the ocean. You won't find "Ritz-Carlton" rooms at either resort, but that's not what either SN or CN is known for.

BEACHES: SN is near the north end of Negril's Seven Mile Beach next door to Hedonism II. CN is a littie further north, on Bloody Bay between the Grand Lido Negril and one of the Riu properties. Don't let the name "Bloody Bay" concern you; it's actually very picturesque with some of the best white sand and clear, calm water we've ever seen. We actually preferred the beach at CN over the SN beach because it was deeper with more room to "spread out" without feeling like you were on top of other guests. CN also offers a section of beach designated for nude sunbathing, something SN does not provide.

POOLS/HOT TUBS: SN has two pools for swimming and a third for scuba training. CN has one large pool for swimming plus a scuba training pool. I don't know their exact depths, but I think the main CN pool is about a foot deeper than the SN pool. It also seemed larger than the SN pool. Both resorts have "swim-up" bars in their main pools. I'm not sure how many hot tubs SN has now, but when we were there six years ago, there were two. Up until a few months ago, CN also had just two hot tubs (one on either side of the main pool), but they recently added two more - one behind the scuba training pool and one on the nude beach - brining the CN total to four.

BARS/BEVERAGE SERVICE: You'll find plenty to drink at both resorts at one of several bars throughout the properties. Service was always fast at both CN and SN. CN offers something called "red flag service" on the beach. If you're on the beach and want a drink, just stick your red flag in the sand and a server will wait on you. I'm not sure if SN has anything similar.

FOOD: That's pretty much a matter of taste (pardon the pun), but I can tell you that both SN and CN serve a variety of Jamaican and American fare. SN also has a Japanese restaurant. We'd probaby give Sandals a slight edge on food.

NIGHT LIFE: Don't expect to find all-night theme parties at either SN or CN...you need to go to Hedonism for that sort of thing. However, both CN and SN provide some evening entertainment that ranges from disco and karioke to beach parties. It probably varies from week to week, but night life at SN was rather dead the week we were there compared to CN which was a little livelier.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: Big ups here to CN which really made us feel at home. It's hard to explain the difference, except to say the CN staff always seemed to go out of its way to accommodate us.

OVERALL FACILITIES: Both SN and CN feature spas, recreational facilities, lounges, game rooms, etc. However, the CN property isn't as old as the SN resort. One of the first impressions we had of the SN resort is that it looked a little "run down" compared to the brochures. We didn't get the same impression at CN.

OVERALL VALUE: Big difference here. Our week at CN, including round trip transportation, cost about $1,500 LESS than SN, and that's without any special discounts, so if everything else was equal, we'd chose CN on price alone.

In addition to my ramblings here, I have written trip reports on http://www.tripadvisor.com/ and elsewhere on the Internet. My CN trip report (which includes some pictures) can be found under the Couples Negril trip reports. It was filed on July 27th and can be found at tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147313-d148…

Our SN trip report is on another site and can be found at http://caribtravelnews.com/c0799_04.htm (scroll to the last review on this page for this report).

For MUCH more information on Couples Negril, you might want to check out the resort's Message Board which is http://couples.com/08messageF.htm

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any specific questions.

Jay

Mentioned in this post
Sandals Negril Beach...
5,902 Reviews
Jamaica
Couples Negril
Couples Negril
4,586 Reviews
Jamaica
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Hedonism II
Hedonism II
2,866 Reviews
Jamaica
Bloody Bay
Bloody Bay
907 Reviews
Jamaica
DCT
Michigan
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals Negril vs. Couples Negril

Wow, thanks to all for your responses. We actually booked CN this afternoon before I got a chance to read your responses. Having been to Sandals Ocho Rios, we thought we'd give Couples a try this time around. We loved SOR (the staff and grounds were amazing...we also got married there!) and hope CN is just as great. Jamaica is an unbelievable island (been to several places in the Caribbean) and we can't wait to go back! Thanks for all the info!!

Mentioned in this post
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America