We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how close is dunns falls to couples negril?

pascagoula, MS
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
how close is dunns falls to couples negril?

what would be the quickest (least expensive) way to dunns river falls? Good place to visit? what's included,and how long is the experience?whta other attractions are we close (or not so close)to? Going in late feb early march(weddingmoon!)

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
137 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how close is dunns falls to couples negril?

Go to Mayfield Falls, they are closer to Negril and my husband and I both enjoyed them more than Dunn's, but we did really like Dunn's too. The website makes Mayfield seem boring, but trust me, it is not!

Mississauga
Level Contributor
104 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how close is dunns falls to couples negril?

Negril to dunns is about a 4 hour ride. It is bumpy for a good portion and seems like forever. Is it worth it? Most definetly. Depending on what resort you are staying at ( we stayed at the RIU Club Hotel Negril) check with the tour companys operating at the hotel. My wife and I paid $98 US each which included the trip to Ocho Rios, Dolphin Cove (we got to interact with the dolphin) and then Dunns river. Dunns river is a must because of the exitement. You are climbing a 950ft waterfall while joining hands with all the other climbers. They take a video of your adventure as well as pics that you can purchase on the way out ($8US). But be warned of the craft markets. There is no escaping them without a simple and firm NO thank you MON.

Unless of course you do want to buy something. Sometimes all they want is for you to look at their items but they are persistent. Take the trip and enjoy the beauty of Jamaica, the lush greenery and mountains and if your lucky your driver will give you a history lesson about Jamaica.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
621 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: how close is dunns falls to couples negril?

Hi, honeymoonnparadise!

Congratulations on your wedding!

There's so much to do around Negril, perhaps Dunn's River wouldn't be worth it for you if you don't want to be in the car for a long time. Mayfield falls is so beautiful and less crowded than Dunn's River as it's very close to where the cruise ships land. ;)

Another fun thing to do in the area is the Appleton Estate Tour, where you get to see how the rum is made.

The Rhino Safari tour is a fun jet ski tour around Negril that is about a half-day long activity that includes the tour, snorkelling in an amazing place where the guide will take you, and lunch.

And you can't miss the cliff diving at sunset in Negril.:)

Once you hit the beach, they will probably have to drag you away. And please don't miss snorkelling on the cliffs; it's just beautiful!

If you do decide to visit Ocho Rios to do Dunn's River or Dolphin Cove, you should stop to see the Glistening Waters in Falmouth just after dark. :)

Hope you have a great honeymoon!

-Leah

Beverly Shores...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how close is dunns falls to couples negril?

Hey Honeymoonnparadise: Please listen to the previous posts. I went to OR and then went to Dunns River Falls, some 15 minutes. Then I was in Negril with my daughter. We had a rental car. A local JA drove us to DRFalls. It does take some 4 hours to get there, and do NOT forget that is another 4 hours back to Negil--it is a WHOLE day trip. Stay at your resort and do the local thing as in the previous posts. That is my 2 cents.

Ontario
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: how close is dunns falls to couples negril?

I have visited Dunns River about 3 weeks ago. I stayed in MOBAY. In addition to Dunns we visited Bob Marleys birtplace and toured the mountains (by cab) I have stayed in Negril as well at the RIU 3 yrs ago and I personally would visit YS Falls over Dunns. While in Negril we visited YS and Black River in one day it was awesome. We also went to Maitland falls, but I would go back to YS definatly. Dunns seems to be to commercial. Were abouts are you staying?

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
477 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how close is dunns falls to couples negril?

I agree....I would stay closer to Negril. Plus, Dunns is kinda a "tourist trap"....it is certainly beautiful, but so is Mayfield Falls and YS Falls and they're so much closer.

Another very close place to visit that's near Negril is Benji's Paradise!