We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coral Seas Beach or Merrils 2?

Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Coral Seas Beach or Merrils 2?

We are traveling with two children (ages 5&2). Based on amenities, photos and reviews, I think I would prefer Coral Seas. However, there's no pool at the beach resort. How far is it to the Garden resort? Is is walkable?

Also, is there any reason, other than the pool factor, that I should consider Merrils over Coral Seas.

Thanks for your input.

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,722 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coral Seas Beach or Merrils 2?

Hello Islamom,

The Coral Sea concept is a fantastic one and deserves full merit.

STAY AT ONE PLAY AT ALL THREE.

Beach, Garden or Cliff.

However, they forgot one major point and built the Beach property nearly at the mouth of the Negril River.

On ocasions this river carries some major bad smells and wierd things that float about into the sea right where the hotel is at.

So for the sake of your two young children, I would suggest Merrils.

You might even go to Coral Seas and nothing will happen. But when children are invoulved I would not risk it.

If it were the two adults alone, then I would definately say stay at Coral Seas and you can also enjoy using the other facilites as well. If you wanted a nice beach, then just walk further away from the river mouth.

Hope this helps.

southern, illinois
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coral Seas Beach or Merrils 2?

Hi I've stayed at Merrills2 a couple of times and consider it a great value for the price. Merrills has 4 one bedroom apartments that face the ocean and have a nice patio, I would definitely recommend getting one of these if possible, especially with 2 small children. The pool is no big deal, the water on the beach is usually extremely calm and kids love the sand. You can usually upgrade to a 1 bedroom by calling merrills directly. Also the food is good, not great but is fresh and well prepared. Have a great time.

d. Dog

austin, tx
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coral Seas Beach or Merrils 2?

We stayed at Coral Seas Beach and will be returning for our second visit in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure what Johnny is talking about, it is a bit of a walk from Coral Seas to the mouth of the river, the beach and water were clean and clear, only smell was jerk bbq smell from the beach? Must have had a bad experience, but Coral Seas and Merrils II aren't too far apart. It is about a 2 minute walk to the Garden resort from the Beach resort. We looked at Merrils, and having looked at the rooms and food at both locations on our last visit we chose Coral Seas again. (a la carte vs. buffet, and the limo transfers were what did it for us) Some people really love Merrils and I'm sure you'll have a great time in either place. We have pictures of the room, beach, people, limo, etc. for Coral Seas, email me at jamminjodi13@hotmail.com and I'd be happy to provide you the link and more info if you are interested.

Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coral Seas Beach or Merrils 2?

Thanks for all the info everyone. Jashlock1, I sent you an email.

Thanks again! We are looking forward to our trip.

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coral Seas Beach or Merrils 2?

I sent an email with a link for our pics and some other misc. info and rambling. Have a great trip!