We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach: Starfish Trelawny or RIU Tropical Bay^

Montreal
11 posts
Save Topic
Best beach: Starfish Trelawny or RIU Tropical Bay^

RTB is about $CAN1000 more than Starfish and I know that the resort looks nicer as well as the beach. What’s the beach like at Falmouth? Is RTB really worth the extra $.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
459 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach: Starfish Trelawny or RIU Tropical Bay^

I am not sure of the beach at Starfish, however, we did stay right next door at FDR Pebbles. The beach at Pebbles was not at all good; very rocky and most water sports, most days, were cancelled because of wind. This may or may not help you. After our trip to Pebbles, we moved to Beaches Negril and the beach there is absolutely beautiful. We'll be returning in 55 hours !! Have fun whatever you decide; it's Jamaica!!

temecula ca
Level Contributor
560 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach: Starfish Trelawny or RIU Tropical Bay^

CEEANNE are you going to beaches again? Just wondering we are going in spet with our kids. How did you like it? Keri

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
459 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach: Starfish Trelawny or RIU Tropical Bay^

Keri,

Yes, we're going to Beaches Sandy Bay this time. Cost factor, ya know, since my oldest will be getting her driver's license in 3 weeks. Gotta save for the car :( that comes with it... We liked Beaches Negril, had fun etc. All of this was before the water park. We'll be sure to check it out with our exchange options and will be able to give you more of an updated answer because when we last were there, it was 2003. Did you have any specific questions?

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach: Starfish Trelawny or RIU Tropical Bay^

Greetings Glen !!! What part of town are you from?

Although the Bloody Bay Beach (where RIU is) is incredible, I personally wouldn't even pay half that much more for it over Starfish... Other than the beach, the resorts are comparable in quality and there is a lot more offered at Starfish. The rooms are nicer at RIU but the Pools and facilities are nicer and more extensive at Starfish.

I have never had ANY complaints from clients I've sent to Starfish, there have been a few minor issues with the RIU's on the other hand...

CeeAnn is right in that the beach at Pebbles is not really nice at all, but the beach at Starfish is AWESOME in comparison !!! It is one of the two finest (and longest) stretches of beach on the entire North Coast ! It is not as nice as Bloody Bay, but it is not "that" far off either.

Drop me a line if you want specific info...

landrysmusic@hotmail.com

Blessings and respect to you.

Steve

Montreal
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach: Starfish Trelawny or RIU Tropical Bay^

Thanks Steve. I’m on the West Island (Pierrefonds). I will drop you a line (well, email). I really had my hart set on RTB, mainly because of the beach and the fact that my wife prefers low-rise hotels (2 or 3 floors). I was looking at Beaches Sandy Bay but it’s soooooo expensive.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beach: Starfish Trelawny or RIU Tropical Bay^

Starfish has a decent good size beach. It also has a little island with hammocks you can lounge on (or at least it did a couple of years ago). All kinds of activities were also going on there when we stayed. Falmouth is pretty cool I wouldn't spend the extra cash as Starfish is a pretty good AI resort.