We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rockhouse Hotel

Chicago, IL
4 posts
Save Topic
Rockhouse Hotel

My thoughts and prayers are extended to all of the people in Jamaica. I had the pleasure of visiting the island in 2001 and fell in love with it. That is why my fiancee and I chose it to be the setting for our upcoming wedding in November.

I have heard that the Rockhouse Hotel was spared any major damage and was hoping that someone might be able to confirm that. I was also hoping that someone might be able to tell us what to expect when we arrive in early November.

Illinois
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rockhouse Hotel

Go over to miyard.com's message board...there's a detailed post regarding Rockhouse's condition.

culver city, ca
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rockhouse Hotel

Hi -- We are also getting married at the Rockhouse in November -- the 13th to be exact -- so excited to read your email. I have not been able to get through to them, and cannot seem to be able to get on the miyard message board. Do you have any further info? We just love it there and the people are so amazing -- Inise is the best -- I really hope our friends there are all okay. Please let me know if you hear anything and i'll do the same. thanks.

Illinois
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rockhouse Hotel

You may want to try negril.com's message board, too!

culver city, ca
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rockhouse Hotel

Just got on miyard.com's message board, thanks for the tip. great news -- it looks like they got through it pretty well.

Chicago, IL
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rockhouse Hotel

Meg: I am so excited to hear you will be getting married there too! We are getting married on 11/6. I did speak to someone who was in contact with the hotels and he said that the Rockhouse was OK and that they were going to open their restaurant today. I'll let you know if I hear anymore information!

Natalie

Chicago, IL
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rockhouse Hotel

I also wanted to say Thanks to LL for the information! You are a tremendous help!

culver city, ca
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Rockhouse Hotel

Natalie -- Congrats! Will you still be there on the 8th? That's when we're getting there -- we'll buy you a rum punch! We were going to try and call Inise at the end of the week just to touch base with her. Keep in touch with what you hear about damages and i'll do the same. my email is meganmindler@hotmail.com if you want to just email directly. were you planning on honeymooning there? we were planning on flying over to grenada and vacationing at la luna -- unfortunately it looks like that is no more. terrible. we're looking for somewhere else now.

Suffern, New York
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Rockhouse Hotel

I just received the following email from a friend who got married at Rock House in May. He got the email from one of the Rock House owners.

Rockhouse Hotel Cleaning Up after Ivan Checks Out

We are very happy to report that our guests and staff are in good shape following Hurricane Ivan. Our guests were all successfully relocated to alternate, inland, locations. We stayed in close contact with them and they are all safe and in good spirits. We have spoken with all our staff and they also endured the storm well, with many of them returning to the hotel on Sunday to help begin the clean up.

The hotel itself is in surprisingly good condition overall. Almost all of the damage to structures has been cosmetic and requires relatively minor repairs. The restaurant and dining deck, kitchen, back of house areas, front office, boutique and spa cabana are fully intact. Most of our villas, studio and standard rooms have also been largely unaffected by the storm. Seas continue to be rough, which has hampered our ability to undertake a complete inspection of the property, but all our buildings, including the swimming pool, appear structurally sound.

The greatest impact has been on the landscaping where some trees have been uprooted, resulting in some utilities issues that we are currently resolving. An enthusiastic team of workmen and staff are busy cleaning up after the storm. The garden is being cleared of debris and the fallen trees and an incredible improvement has been made in a few days.

We are planning to reopen the hotel on Friday, September 24th. The exact day will depend on the restoration of utility services and the calming of the sea. Power services are suspended in the west end of Negril and we are currently relying on our generator. Water has already been restored to the property.

We appreciate all the concern, empathy and good wishes we have received from the broader Rockhouse family.

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,722 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rockhouse Hotel

Here is some more good news for everYone...

QUOTE:- Take a look at the Coco La Palm webcam. You can see that there is a beach and the water is blue and sun is shining. I think there was some erosion but the beach is certainly not gone.

10. Re: Rockhouse Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, May 18, 2009