We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which falls are the best

usa
Level Contributor
152 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Which falls are the best

Next year I am going to Negril, and it will probably be the only time I will get to go to Jamaica(hopefully not) but I think it will be. I wanted to go to one of the falls(YS,Mayfield,Dunns River) and I was wondering which is the best, because I might not get another chance to come back. I'm sure they are all beautiful, but which will give me my biggest WOW. Thanks.

ohio
Level Contributor
573 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which falls are the best

We're also going to Negril. I know that Dunn's River is really far away - like 31/2 hours, maybe? So I think we're going to try the Mayfield or YS - they are both much closer

usa
Level Contributor
152 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which falls are the best

Your write. Dunns would be too far. Which is best out of YS or Mayfield?

richmond
Level Contributor
169 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which falls are the best

We went to Mayfield. We had a great time inpart due to an awesome and hilarious guide RICHARD. But, it really isn't "falls" as you might think. They arer numerous tiny cascades that you put your head under! I was a bit disappointed even though we had a blast. I understand that YS is more of what I thought we would see. So, IMHO, I'd try YS.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
176 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which falls are the best

We just got back from Jamaica and we went to Mayfield Falls. I can't comment on which is better, as we only went to the one, but we absolutely loved Mayfield Falls. My husband, I and our 8 year old hired one of the hotel staff to drive us there at $25 per person, and then we paid $10 each to get in and $10 for lunch. We got there about 9:00 am, so we were the first ones in the river which was awesome. Our guide was Tom, and he was fantastic, holding our daughter's hand (as well as the digital camera and my husband's cigarettes) the whole way. There was one spot where you could jump in and do your cannonballs and such, and several spots where you could go behind the fall and relax against the rock as the water poured overhead. Also, after doing the walk, you end up walking through a traditional Jamaican farm with yams, sweet potatoes, and wild medicinal plants growing that your guide will point out to you. There is also the "Riverwalk" which utilizes the same river, but is further downstream so don't get these 2 confused. I was told that YS Falls has bigger falls, but only allows you into the water in various spots...whereas the whole Mayfield Falls trip takes place in the water (21 waterfalls to be exact). If you go, don't forget water socks or some other water shoe or old pair of sneakers.