We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at Couples Negril

UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at Couples Negril

Hi,

We are staying at Couples Negril on the 3rd of July and wondered whether they allow you to tip? Obviously we would like to where we can...

Thanks for anyone who can advise

united states
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at Couples Negril

If this is the better then average hotel then no. But you can get away with it. Just keep inmind that if it is one of those types of places and all inclusive then the staff can get in trouble if you tip them so make sure you find out before you do it.

Rich/Satia

UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at Couples Negril

Thanks Jamaica - will bear that in mind...

texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at Couples Negril

Couples not not allow tipping. I am going to CSA in a month. I will not be tipping. If you tip at an all-inclusive resort that says NO TIPPING, then you create problems. "Should you tip shouldn't you? syndrome." Also, if you read the message boards at the couples.com website, the staff gets very angry when people say they tipped there. They really really really do not want their guests tipping. Plus if you do tip, then the staff does begin to expect tips. Then the service starts to go down hill for the guests that didn't tip, which is exactly why the resort personell does not want you to tip. Now, I will bring school supplies for the local schools which CSA collects for. And, I am waiting on an answer if leaving lotions etc for the housekeeping staff is really alowed or not, which seems to be the norm there. If that is aloud I will bring a small token as a kind gesture. I feel is too small to be considered a tip, but shows you appreciate their hard work. The tips are built into their salary. You do not have to tip, because they get paid more than at a non-all inclusive to make up for it. They don't just make less money because they work at an all-inclusive! Maybe they don't make as much as you think they should, but they get the money in their salary regardless. Here's analogy- In the states, when you have a LARGE party at a restraunt, your tip is often automatically calculated into the bill. It is stated on the bill/agreement somewhere- gratuity included, usually 10-20%. Now, granted some people prefer to tip 20% and supplement the tip. Great. But you wouldn't give an whole extra tip if they take out 15%, pay them another 15% under the table would you? It's the same thing.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
784 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping at Couples Negril

drewbiegirl~ the gift question was finally answered the other day on the couples message board. "monetary" gifts are not allowed, but you can leave a gift item at the end of your stay with a note saying its a gift . Thats the first I saw the "gift" question plainly answered.

texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping at Couples Negril

Cool. Thanks. And this was answered by a staff? Or a regular that was told by a staff? I don't want to get anyone in trouble...

texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping at Couples Negril

aaahhh... just found the thread. Good info. Thanks a million.