We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book self or through resort/travel agent

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
At my desk
2 posts
Save Topic
Book self or through resort/travel agent

I'll be at the Riu Clubhotel Negril in about a month and have a question regarding the activities offered at the resort.

I'm interested in an activity (deep-sea fishing) that apparently can either be booked upon my arrival at the resort and through the travel agent I've book with or via the Internet directly with the tour operators.

Does anyone know of any advantages with either booking now or waiting until I arrive? Will I pay extra or save money by using the travel agent at the resort? Is it better to try to book myself using the Internet to ensure that I can get the dates I'm interested in?

I'd appreciate advice from anyone whose been in this situation before.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Book self or through resort/travel agent

The only thing I would suggest should you decide to book at resort is to check the price of the excursion online before you go and take info with you. I have found not only in JA but Cancun, Cozumel, etc. that when I got to the resort the "excursion desks" prices were higher - mostly because they provide travel to/from resort to excursion - which may be well worth it; but some because they know not everyone does their "research beforehand". But when I presented internet pricing to them they honored that price. For instance, Wild Thing Catamaran Cruise was I think $10 more at my resort than if I walked 10 mins down the beach and booked directly with the Wild Thing crew. I have also found that there are locals at the resorts whose prices are cheaper for the same excursion. You also have to remember that in JA certain excursions are only available on certain days so again you have to plan around their days. I have pre-booked online things like dolphins swims, etc. where the nos. are very limited with no problem. Do some research. Enjoy yourself.

Respect

united states
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book self or through resort/travel agent

hello Bridgestone

Well I would say that if you are going to book anything yes do your research but honestly book it yourself through the people who are actually doing the event. I mean don't book through your resort unless it is like snorkling,sailing or something like that the excursions you should do your self you will save alot of money and you can bargain them down in most situations.

Sincerely,

Rich/Satia

At my desk
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Book self or through resort/travel agent

Thank both of you for taking the time to answer my questions! I greatly appreciate your advice.