We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best currency to use

Somerset, England
6 posts
Save Topic
The best currency to use

Hi All,

Could anyone advise me on the best currency to take to Jamaica ? I have heard American Dollars are best??

Your help and advise will be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Kelly

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best currency to use

Greetings Kelly,

You will have a lot of trouble trying to use any European currencies, the American dollar is very widely accepted, but the Jamaican dollar is the official currency and you can fare a little better using it sometimes.

Have a fabulous holiday! Where are you staying?

Blessings and respect to you.

Steve

Mattituck, NY
Level Contributor
850 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best currency to use

I have found that although the Jamaican Dollar is the official currency, the US dollar is what brings a smile to the faces of the locals. Just one tip- bring lots of smaller bills. The larger bills are harder for them to break.

New England, USA
Level Contributor
657 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best currency to use

What works best for me(coming from the u.s.) is to change most of my money into Jamaican dollars..with lots of 100s, 500's, and 1000's. I also bring plenty of u.s. 1's, 5's, and 10's and a some 20's for shopping with vendors and tipping. I am terrible about trying figure the exchange in my head, so having some of both has worked well.

Somerset, England
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The best currency to use

Hi Jamaicasteve,

I will be staying at Point Village, flying on Sunday 14th November for 2 weeks, I can't wait.

Thankyou for your help.

Kelly

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best currency to use

Right on Kelly, You are going to love Negril! Definately check out some of the great places along the beach like Roots Bamboo and Nirvana.

Say hi to Sienna for me.

Blessings and respect to you.

Steve