We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jelly Fish

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
193 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Jelly Fish

Looking forward to swimming in the sea .

Will I get bit my jelly fish and other ocean creatures ?

What precautions should I take ?

32 replies to this topic
Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jelly Fish

Don't swim.

Jackson,NJ
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jelly Fish

Always a chance of it.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jelly Fish

I have never seen a jelly fish, in all my trips.

Jackson,NJ
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jelly Fish

they are there but not very often.

Smithtown, New York
Level Contributor
652 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jelly Fish

I swam into a few last time there in August. It was on the beach. They were almost invisible, and caused slight stinging. The pleasure of swimming is such beautiful, warm, calm, crystal clear water, far outweighs the rare chance of this. There really isn't much else. Most of the beach doesn't even have a rock, shell or any plant life. That's why I love it so much.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
4,318 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jelly Fish

My husband got stung by a jellyfish on the leg on our last trip. It stung a little bit and left a red mark and within a few hours it was fine. A little boy on our Resort got stung in the chest and was crying. Someone had Benadryl spray and as soon as they sprayed that on his chest it completely went away. I've been going to Jamaica for 18 years and have seen this only a handful of times.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jelly Fish

You might, it's the ocean. I've swam through clouds of thousands of them off of the cliffs, and on the reef off of Long Bay. I've been stung lots, it's not so bad. Except Box Jellyfish, they are a nasty deal.

Otherwise, you'll be fine. Don't touch anything, just look when snorkeling. And watch out for urchins when entering and exiting the water. Don't want to step on one.

Edited: 8:39 pm, October 22, 2017
boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jelly Fish

the bubble jelly’s in negril mostly have all their stingers up inside the dome, so it’s not always a guaranteed sting. swimming you can often push them out of the way with your hands, that is if they are even around, which is not all that often. stormy weather can bring them in sometimes, and their sting is pretty mild. if you have a benadryl spray and/or an antihistamine medication like claritin or alavert. if you do get stung it will be gone in a short time. it is not the terrible sting you may be used to from other jellies...

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jelly Fish

Those are called Moon Jellyfish, and their stinging cells aren't inside the dome, they're just on very short tentacles, and have a very mild sting. Box jelly's are fairly small, square shaped, almost invisible in the water. They have tentacles 6-12" long, and are a nasty creature. Got stung by one off the cliffs some years back, it wasn't a pleasant morning.

Edited: 8:59 am, October 23, 2017
roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
9,776 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Jelly Fish

25+ years all over Jamaica & I've seen 2 in Mobay.

A few years ago there was a post about jelly fish stings in Whitehouse & it was the 1st I heard of it & the posts following including this one.

Most of the sea is clear aqua but I see there always a chance. I'm more worried about sea urchin near reefs or sea grass -use water shoes in those conditions.

When I go to Jamaica I live in the sea especially in Negril!

PEACE!

Reply to: Jelly Fish
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted