We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is it?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
IL
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How safe is it?

I have already booked my trip to the Rockhouse. I just spoke with a woman and she said that she would NOT reccomend it. She stated that their is alot of crime and you can not leave your resort. She even went on to say that she saw a STABBING. We are planning our wedding here and also like to explore off the resort. Should i deem this woman as a relaible source of info? Please let me know your experiences.

Illinois
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is it?

I've found people like to "scare" away potential visitors to the island. This being said, you should have no problem vacationing in Negril. The Rockhouse is a fabulous cliffside

property...excellent restaurant & oh those, sunsets :)

Use common sense when going out & about, don't flash cash, leave your baubles at home, be friendly with the locals...SMILE, you're in Jamaica!!!

LL

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,876 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is it?

Has she ever been to the cliff area of Negril where Rockhouse is? I find a surprising number of people who have never even been to JA will say it's too dangerous to go or to leave a resort.

We've stayed up on the cliffs several times, my children love a restaurant not far from Rockhouse. We walk to eat out and hang out all the time.

The main danger up there is walking along the road - no sidewalks, fast cars. I'd personally avoid walking far late at night alone or even in pairs, there are some empty lots that are a little creepy at 4AM alone. However, taxis are easy to get and Rockhouse can provide drivers to get you to restaurants or clubs and there are taxis around to get you back if it is late.

Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe is it?

Hello,

I am going to Negril next month by myself-I am a single 27 year old and have no worries-like the previous poster said-just use common sense.

Enjoy your wedding and congratulations

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe is it?

Greetings to you,

"""Should i deem this woman as a relaible source of info?"""

<<<<<<< NO. >>>>>>>>

Enjoy your vacation in Paradise.

Blessings and respect to you, Congratulations!

Steve

Portsmouth, NH
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe is it?

Unbeleivable

The west end is beautiful and everyone was great!! We eat out there a few times and loved it. It's a beautiful area and seems less congested than it is near 7 mile beach and Bloody Bay

We also eat at the Rock House and it's a wonderful resort. You will love it there. I heard it was difficult getting reservations there because it is sooo attractive

Go and enjoy it

No worries

Escaping

Caribbean
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe is it?

Roadtripper,

Jamaica is beautiful and you will certainly enjoy it. As the other posters have said you just have to step out with common sense - don't go flashing money and your valuables around. The locals are very helpful and most will go out of there way to assits if you need help.

Just be aware that crime is not particular to Jamaica - it is all over the world - granted more so in some areas than others. Depending on how long you will be there you can rent a car and go to other sections of western side of the island.

So keep your head be aware of your envirnmoent and don't act like you are alice in wonderland. You will have a great time.

jacksonville beach
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How safe is it?

There is good and bad everywhere in the world, Just returned from Negril 2 days ago. wonderful, fantastic, beautiful. Just use common sense, no different then walking the beach in Miami or ft. lauderdale

So. Wisconsin
Level Contributor
665 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How safe is it?

We have never felt unsafe while in Jamaica, as stated previously - common sense is the key. You will no doubt be approached and asked for money or asked to buy crafts or even ganja, etc.

But I have experienced the same type of thing in Las Vegas, Portland, or Chicago. Just use your best judgement and you will have a safe, enjoyable trip.

MJo
Spring Grove, IL
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How safe is it?

Here's the real scoop. Rockhouse is a beautiful place to stay, but Rick's is closed due to the hurricane damage and is still under construction. Just next door, Pirate's Cave was unaffected, and is still open. It's a great place to have drinks and to watch the cliff divers.

The West end of Negril has some spectacular homes, and a friend we met in Jamaica lives there. He came to Jamaica from Bombay, India, but he told us that the West end is very rough because most of the money is made from drugs and therefore, there is a lot of crime here.

He was not trying to scare us, but he told us that the best part of Negril to stay in was the hotel strip (by Seven Mile Beach). We only visited the West end on a day tour. The lighthouse is in this area as well.

If you are staying at Rock House, and possibly visiting Pirate's Cave, you should be fine. Or, if you do tours, go through the resort (do not try to drive around on your own).

When I saw Rockhouse in my travel magazine, I thought it looked really neat, but I heard that that's not completely open yet due to the hurricane damage too. And, after talking to Rodge, I would hesitate to stay at this end of the Island (the same goes for Kingston. It's a very rough area.)

Kingston
Level Contributor
415 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How safe is it?

Can I take offence at the rough Kingston bit ? New Kingston is not rough, everybody just listens to the hype about downtown and avoids the whole metropolitan area. This is a blanket statement about a whole city which gives a totally false impression. Don't mean to have a go but you shouldn't really discount the whole city on hearsay, eh ?