We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sans souci worries

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana
4 posts
Save Topic
sans souci worries

i have read several posts about people being bumped at sans souci due to overbooking and i'm feeling uneasy now about going there. is this more of a concern during the high season, or is there a good chance we might get bumped during june? also, my husband and i are big beach people - are we going to be disappointed by the beach? is it what you think of when you think of jamaica?

dallas tx
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sans souci worries

I have the same concerns as my fiance and I will going there at the end of June. I was beginning to wonder if anyone goes there in June/July since all of the posts are relatively from the beginning of the year.

NY
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sans souci worries

Same here.. I am going in mid- June and worried about over booking too .. also wondering which blocks have better view with a balcony..

Toronto
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sans souci worries

Hey folks,

I'm part of a pair of couples going down to Sans Souci this Saturday March 5th (finally).

When we heard of the overbooking problem, my friend (Giddyup, in case you see his postings elsewhere), contacted our agent to find out we too were bumped.

We booked over 5 weeks ago and got a very good deal (this is why I think we were targets for bumping, as I think the TA's bump the people that have spent the lesser price so that they can compromise by sending you to a resort of "similar value" (i.e. related to the dollars you spent). That way, they can still bring on travellers that pay higher prices and give them priority.)(again, my opinion).

Anyhow, through sheer persistence, Giddyup managed to get us back on the resort. I encourage those who think they could be in a similar circumstance to first confirm their status through contact directly with the resort, and if bumped, get in contact with Sunquest (whoever your vacation provider is) and make them work their tails off to get you what you want. If you think you got this place at a good price relative to the standard rate, I would be a little nervous.

Now, it appears from all subsequent comunications that we are at Sans Souci, but this ordeal has us skeptical. There was a posting that indicated people had made a reservation and still found they had no room once they arrived. Because of these stories, I won't believe it until my bags are in a room and I sucessfully crack a Redstripe!

We look forward to giving our candid opinion (we're well past the stress the overbooking caused and are pumped to get down there!!)

Beaches? We've been to Cuba and DR and Veradero (Sol Luna Y Mares) had one of the nicest beaches I've ever seen (but my stomach has a restraining order against Cuban food). In Jamaica, I heard Negril beaches are impressive, but I don't know, I've never been there...until Saturday.

Good luck to all.

Buffalo, NY
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sans souci worries

Hi. My husband and I were scheduled to stay at the Sans Souci 2/18-2/25. We didn't find out we had been bumped until we arrived at the airport in Jamaica. They bumped us to the Royal Plantation and we were very unhappy there. Too formal, very small, older guests and no entertainment. We never even got an apology from Sans Souci. They acted as though they were doing us a favor by "upgrading" us to the Royal Plantation. And on top of everything else we had to pay for the spa service that were supposed to be incuded in our package. People we spoke to who did get to stay at Sans Souci enjoyed it very much. Good entertainment and food, great atmosphere and lots of fun! Hope this post is helpful.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sans souci worries

Greetings and Blessings to all,

None of you travelling in the summer should have any problems at all with overbooking. Typically during the slow months the resort will be only about 50-70% occupancy.

In regards to Snorkelings post- Any issue of overbooking has nothing to do with the Travel Agents. We book what is "supposed" to be available. If a tour operator or a company overbooks their resort it is entirely their own doing. Believe me when I say, that as a Travel Agent that is one of my most serious concerns. I HATE the practice of overbooking, especially when it is obviously intentional. (which thankfully, I don't think is the case in Sans Souci's situation.)

I truly hope each and every one of you have no problems whatsoever and you all get to experience Sans Souci.

Concerning the beach at Sans Souci, it is not the finest in Jamaica to be sure, but other than it being rather short, it is still beautiful.

I agree with the poster who mentioned they were sent to the Plantation. I also found it to be way to small and limited and rather cold and stodgy in it's atmosphere. It's a very classy place but I would not be happy being bumped there as I would likely go stir crazy and I am a big fan of good live nightly entertainment. If I absolutely HAD to be bumped from Sans Souci, I would demand one of the Grand Lido's and nothing less.

Blessings and respect to you all. Enjoy Jamaica everyone!

Steve

Ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: sans souci worries

JamaicaSteve,

When are the slow months in Jamaica? What is the weather like in Jamaica in November?

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sans souci worries

Greetings islandaddict,

The slower season in Jamaica is from May to October generally speaking but it can vary a lot.

I've been at least a half dozen times in November and the weather has always been phenomenal... The "WORST" weather I've ever had in Jamaica was actually in March (high season) but even then we only had about 18 hours of rain the entire week...

No worries mon!

Blessings and respect to you.

Steve

Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sans souci worries

There are really only 2 beaches at Sans Souci, the main beach and the sunset beach. Both are nice, albeit, I agree with Steve in that relative to occupancy, the beaches may be a wee bit small, but then you look at the swim island, and consider the little cove off the sauna and realize that there is room for everyone. The set up at the Sunset beach is really more client friendly, the bar being positioned between the pool and the ocean, whereas the main beach, you may want to wait for staff to just ask for your drink order. Of course, if you are there the end of April, you risk seeing me in the all together letting the sun shine in places in normally doesn't.

Colorado Springs, CO
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sans souci worries

I just got back from a week at Sans Souci on Saturday. I didn't see or hear of anyone who got bumped, and the staff was VERY aware of the problem. I asked them about it and they practically cringed. They assured me that it was an isolated event, and they have done what they can to make sure it doesn't happen again. They knew that there was a lot of bad press floating around, and how bad it is for business.

As far as the beaches, as has been said, there are two, and the nicer one is the Sunset (clothing optional) beach, although the main beach is nice as well. Neither are big enough to take really long walks on, but even at 95% capacity neither beach ever felt crowded at all. We were always able to find a secluded spot with shade (for me) and sun (for her)!

Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sans souci worries

We are here right now... as I type :), Sans Souci is wonderful, C/O beach is the best. Not a huge beach but as others have said there is plenty of room for all. The resort is full and there is still lots of room. Food has been excellent so far.

We are off to the Beach Party, "grilled LOBSTER" here we come. I know that Saturday is coming way too fast.

I will post my review on the 3rd of April.