We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Returned from Jewel Dunns River - Ask Your Questions

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kenilworth, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Just Returned from Jewel Dunns River - Ask Your Questions

Just got back from 6 days at JDR and wanted to give the forum readers a chance to ask questions of somebody who was just at the property. I know that I was checking this each day for tips before we left and want to try to help others. We didn't go on any of the excursions, so I can't help you out there, but anything related to the resort, restaurants, etc I can help.

I didn't write the review yet, but it will be 5 stars - we had an excellent time.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Just Returned from Jewel Dunns River - Ask Your Questions

My husband and I went to the Jewel last July and LOVED it so we just booked to go back this coming July. The beach is small but nice. We realized that we didnt get a lot of time on the beach relaxing and whatnot because we found ourselves partaking in all of the activities and games with the staff. We visited there 6 years ago on our honeymoon when it was still a Sandals resort and it still had a Sandals-esque feel minus the "couples only" aspect. I thibj the best part about it was that because it is a smaller resort, you see the same people everyday and we made lots of cool new friends. Anyone looking to go will love it.

Edited: 11:01 pm, March 17, 2014
Kenilworth, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Just Returned from Jewel Dunns River - Ask Your Questions

Chris - I did have patties once at the lunch buffet. We went there twice so I can't confirm what the other poster said about it being just once per week. As for the towels, it's just open, no towel cards or anything like that. We saw people taking stacks of towels which wasn't right but we had no problem getting our two each day. If you are getting to the pool/beach at 10-11, yes you would have some trouble getting chairs with an umbrella. Earlier than that and you should be okay. We noticed that some of the more desirable chairs were reserved for people with a butler.

Katen - we did see a few people go into the water outside the roped off area, but I would not recommend it. There are a few (4 i think) motorized boats that are anchored in those areas and must be used for some excursions. Also two party boats pass by a few times a day and pretty close to shore. You can see a change in color under the water just outside of the roped off area; not sure if it's coral/reef or if it's a sand bar and the water gets much deeper. They did have kayaks and hobie cats for the guests use.

Kenilworth, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Just Returned from Jewel Dunns River - Ask Your Questions

Chris - sorry forgot the jerk beef question. I had plenty of jerk chicken and pork but did not see jerk beef. Platinum had a jerk cornish game hen. Jerk chicken is available every day at the Aquamarina (bar/grill next to the pools) and the jerk pork was available at the beach party and buffet one night. Not sure if it's available elsewhere on a better time frame.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Just Returned from Jewel Dunns River - Ask Your Questions

@Amanda, There is WIFI in the lobby however in the rooms there is wired internet that comes at an additional cost. We are working on having the WIFI available throughout however until then it is complimentary in the lobby.

Cocktail patties are indeed available at the buffet, its not found everyday however once or twice per week you will find beef or chicken cocktail patties.

@katenscout, snorkeling outside of the roped area is not recommended mainly for safety reasons. Snorkeling trips go out as mentioned by Robert and they do provide equipment for those trips. Kayaks and hobie are available for use, if you do not know how to sail the hobies we have persons that are ready to take you for a ride.

@blleadon we are looking forward to your return to your home away from home.

Janice from the Resort.

Round Hill, Virginia
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Just Returned from Jewel Dunns River - Ask Your Questions

Hello All-

I'm trying to confirm the beach situation as I do like to take walks and might want to walk down the beach to Bamboo Blu (sp?) Some have said you cannot walk further than the JDR property line on either side . I've also heard that the beach is anywhere from 200 to 600 yards long. What was your experience? Are you actually able to talk to the security guards and will they permit you to cross over onto the Riu beach for a walk? Or do they strongly discourage it? Would it be difficult to get back onto the JDR beach if one does cross through?

Thanks so much! Going in May and can't wait!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
188 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Just Returned from Jewel Dunns River - Ask Your Questions

Do you happen to have an activities schedule?

17. Re: Just Returned from Jewel Dunns River - Ask Your Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 26, 2015