We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Returned from Jewel Dunns River - Ask Your Questions

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kenilworth, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Just Returned from Jewel Dunns River - Ask Your Questions

Just got back from 6 days at JDR and wanted to give the forum readers a chance to ask questions of somebody who was just at the property. I know that I was checking this each day for tips before we left and want to try to help others. We didn't go on any of the excursions, so I can't help you out there, but anything related to the resort, restaurants, etc I can help.

I didn't write the review yet, but it will be 5 stars - we had an excellent time.

Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Returned from Jewel Dunns River - Ask Your Questions

We're thinking of getting to the Dunns River Falls as our only trip away from the resort. Do you know how far it is and if it's walkable for pretty healthy people? Was the bus connection from the Montego Bay airport a challenge? Also, which was your favorite restruant?

Kenilworth, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Returned from Jewel Dunns River - Ask Your Questions

JA - I don't know for sure since we didn't do it, but I do not think the falls would be in walking distance. Even if it is technically possible, it may not be walkable since the resort is on a pretty busy road without sidewalks (i.e. you would be walking in the shoulder). For a short walk it wouldn't be a problem, but not sure how far the falls are.

The transfer to the resort took just under 2 hours. The actual drive time was more like 90 minutes but JDR is the 3rd and final stop (the other Jewel resorts are closer to the airport). The driver talked to us the whole time, pointing out the other resorts and explaining some of the sights, the time went pretty quick. The ride back was shorter since there was only 1 stop.

My favorite restaurant was Platinum. Unfortunately, we didn't get to eat at Jade Samurai because we couldn't get a reservation.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
143 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Returned from Jewel Dunns River - Ask Your Questions

I'm a little confused snout internet access. Is there WiFi everywhere?

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Returned from Jewel Dunns River - Ask Your Questions

What room category did you stay in? Is the Diamond category worth the extra money?

Kenilworth, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Returned from Jewel Dunns River - Ask Your Questions

Amanda - We were very confused about the WiFi also. In our room (Diamond) there was no WiFi, but there was an ethernet cable for wired internet if you brought your laptop (we just had our cell phones, so that did not help). In the lobby, you can access the lobby's network by opening your browser and agreeing to the terms. We found that sometimes, but not every time, if we connected to the lobby network and agreed to the terms, we would then be able to access the other network elsewhere on the property (on the beach, pool side and on our balcony). It only worked a few times and wouldn't work if you turned off your phone's WiFi but it helped us check e-mail a few times more conveniently.

Jody - We were in a Diamond Concierge room. Aside from the difference in view, there's really only two differences: alcohol in the room and free room service. The concierge did not help us much as there were no remaining Jade Samurai reservations and we were not booking any excursions. We did not use the alcohol in the room much, except for a few beers, but we did use the room service at least once per day. If we hadn't paid for it, we probably wouldn't have ordered. Ultimately, I think we would book this level again, mostly because it's nice to know you can order food or have a drink whenever you want in the comfort of the room (in addition to the nicer view).

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
143 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Returned from Jewel Dunns River - Ask Your Questions

Thank you. Bummer about the wifi. I would like to totally be off the grid for a week, but it's not entirely possible. I need to check my work emails at least once a day and bringing my tablet would be easier than lugging my laptop.

Good to know about the diamond room; this is the room category we are looking at. I like the option of having a drink or food in the room.

Glad you enjoyed your stay. We've been to Jamaica six, going on seven times in June. Our favorite resort has drastically raised rates without raising quality, so we are exploring options.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
219 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Returned from Jewel Dunns River - Ask Your Questions

Hi Folks,

We are there in 5 more weeks. Are Jerk Beef and Chicken patties available daily @ the lunch buffet? Is there any problem getting shaded chairs around the main and quiet pools? Also, are beach towels open exchange access or do you need to get receipts etc for them each day etc?

Thanks a mill!

Thanks!

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
311 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Returned from Jewel Dunns River - Ask Your Questions

No patties the whole time we were at the resort in November. I was told that they are on the lunch buffet once a week, but I think we missed them. If you go in town for lunch, have the driver stop at Juicy pattie and get all you want!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Returned from Jewel Dunns River - Ask Your Questions

Glad you enjoyed your visit! Just had a question about the beach area- Are you able to swim outside the roped off area? Also, do you know if there is a reef for snorkeling near the water off the resort? Was there any snorkeling equipment or kayaks provided by the resort? Thanks!!

10. Re: Just Returned from Jewel Dunns River - Ask Your Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:10 pm, March 17, 2014