We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tips at SRP

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lima
Level Contributor
19 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
tips at SRP

What´s the really story? I read that Sandals forbids tips but I also read that butlers at SRP are tipped? Help please.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tips at SRP

The only Sandals staff that are allowed to receive tips are Butler and Spa. This is at all Sandals. SRP also has beach butlers that are allowed to receive staff. Also, Cabana staff can receive tips. All other employees take part in a bonus plan based on bookings. Staff can and have been fired for receiving tips.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,904 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tips at SRP

Sandals does not allow tipping, except for butlers and spa staff. All other employees participate in a program that ensures that they will each receive a piece of your paid vacation. In that way every employee, not just the bartenders or housekeepers who are seen, but also office staff, chefs, gardeners, etc., will all receive the benefit of your stay. They agree to this upon employment and can be fired for accepting a tip, so please do not put them in this situation. No matter how discreet people think they are being, there is always the chance that someone will see. We have known staff who have been fired for accepting tips.

Butlers, on the other hand, do not participate in this program (nor do the spa staff). The average suggested tip is $20US per day per butler. You should feel free to adjust up or down according to how much service you feel each butler has given you. We always bring thank-you cards, and put their tip along with a personal note inside. We ask them when their last shift will be with us so that we can be sure to give them their tip in person.

If there are staff that you have been very pleased with, the best thing to do is to write a note to the GM praising this staff person by name, explaining about their outstanding performance. We did this with a wait person at Sandals Grande Antigua, and we were very happy to learn that she was promoted to supervisor!

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions!

Lima
Level Contributor
19 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tips at SRP

very clear. Much appreciated replies. Many thanks.

Lima
Level Contributor
19 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tips at SRP

I have another question: how realistic or exaggerated in price are the tours offered by the hotels, Sandals? Do most people contract a private driver? Is that safe? How does it compare money wise?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,058 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tips at SRP

Patti, we have done both at several Sandals. The IR's tours are great, but a bit spendy and you are on a fixed time schedule. Private drivers are another great option that we have done many times while at different Sandals. Yes, they are safe. If you consider a private driver make sure to look at THE LIST in the upper right corner of this page. This is a list of good drivers that have been used by and recommended other TA regulars. We have found it to be cheaper, transportation-wise. And the others are correct, absolutely NO tipping to staff other then butlers. As far as the SPA staff, they can also, but you are automatically charged a 12.5% tip on your room bill for all SPA services.

Lima
Level Contributor
19 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tips at SRP

ok. many thanks. I am sure I´ll have another question soon.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,058 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tips at SRP

No problem Patti, ask away!

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
341 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tips at SRP

My question about tipping is that you tip approximately $20 per day per room butler, but how about the beach butlers? Are they also to be tipped in that manner? Thanks!

Richmond, Texas
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tips at SRP

patlynn we are going to SRP for the first time in October and I've been wondering the same thing.

Main butlers usually cover 6-8 rooms but the beach butlers service a lot of people on the beach so can get tips from a lot more people, but really only for whatever part of the day you're on the beach. I've been thinking that maybe a minimum of $50 for the week and then up from there depending on the service.

Is this too much or too little? I welcome all opinions.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,058 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tips at SRP

There are three different beach guys and no, I wouldn't tip each one $50. They are great guys, but not $50 IMO.