We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sandals dunn river/jewel dunn river

pa
2 posts
Save Topic
sandals dunn river/jewel dunn river

has anyone stayed at sandals dunn river and since it has become jewel dunn river

New England
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sandals dunn river/jewel dunn river

Many people have... It's been the Jewel since fall 2010

tripadvisor.com/…

Did you have any specific questions people can help you answer?

:)

Edited: 5:17 pm, February 27, 2014
massachusetts
Level Contributor
540 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sandals dunn river/jewel dunn river

We were fortunate enough to have stayed there twice while it was Sandals. Loved it ...wish they didn't let it go. Nice beach good pools real nice rooms staff etc. Location is also real good for tours and Ochi. shopping

pa
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sandals dunn river/jewel dunn river

how does it compare since it has changed over to Jewel from sandals dunne river has it changed for the better or worse

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
133 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sandals dunn river/jewel dunn river

Egorpa-

We stayed at the Sandals Dunns River once for our honeymoon in 2002 and visited again when it was still Sandals and we were staying at the Sandals Grande Riveria in 2010, just before Sandals gave up their lease. We are headed back to stay at the Jewel Dunns River in less than 2 weeks. I can let you know any differences we see based on our previous stay. But I've been monitoring reviews of the Jewel Dunns River and most have been very positive. People seem genuinely happy w/ the resort. Looking forward to seeing for myself!

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: sandals dunn river/jewel dunn river

We were also at Sandals Dunn's River for 2 visits before the conversion. In 2001 and in 2008. I would consider visiting again, as we loved the property itself. Nice stretch of beach, nice big pool bar. Out 2001 visit was outstanding. Our 2008 visit was a little disappointing.

Sunbunny34, I will be looking forward to reading your opinion of this resort as Jewel Dunn's River when you return.

Edited: 6:13 pm, March 04, 2014
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sandals dunn river/jewel dunn river

My husband andbI visited the property on our honeymoon when it was a Sandals since we were staying at the SGR 6 years ago. Lastvyear we staywd at the Jewel and loved it. We booked to go back again this summer. It still has a Sandals feel without the couples only aspect.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
133 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sandals dunn river/jewel dunn river

We just got back from JDR last night. This was a short stay, only 4 nights, but we had an excellent time (review coming soon). As I said before, we stayed at the Jewel when it was Sandals in 2002 and went back for a day visit from SGR before it transitioned to the Jewel. There is very little that has changed since becoming the Jewel. We picked the Jewel this time because we took my mother in law as a retirement gift and wanted someplace that wasn't couples only. It was still mostly couples but there were some wedding parties and bigger groups that included a mix of singles and couples.

The entertainment staff was awesome, probably better than most "Playmakers" at many Sandals. They kept the entertainment going day and night. The nightly shows were all really good, much like what you'd see at Sandals.

The food was great, maybe even better than Sandals in some cases. All the restaurants, buffets, grills, etc. have the same concept as any Sandals. Only reservation required was at the hibachi grill restaurant. We were able to get a reservation the day we arrived for our last night.

The biggest difference we noted was that you have to pay extra for snorkelling and I believe the glass bottom boat as well. I believe it's $20 extra but we didn't go because it was a short trip and we've been before. The other big difference is tipping is allowed and accepted. This was a bit of a different concept for us because we've been to many Sandals and are not used to tipping. I can say that I never felt like employees expected tips, but you did see if frequently. I also don't feel like I ever got worse service if I didn't tip. We did tip, mostly bartenders, some wait staff and they always seemed appreciattive.

Overall, minimal differences and given that I think JDR might be a bit cheaper than most Sandals, it was a great value. We had a great time and would consider returning. Maybe even try a different Jewel property.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: sandals dunn river/jewel dunn river

@sunnybunny,

We were happy to have you and elated to know that you had a great time. We look forward o your return.

See you soon.

Regards,

9. Re: sandals dunn river/jewel dunn river

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:49 am, March 24, 2015