We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIU Ochi First Day.

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
289 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
RIU Ochi First Day.

Wanted to report on our first day at RIU. First the airport. Arrived after a very long flight from THE Washington not dc. Immigration and customs was a breeze. We decided against Club Mobay for our arrival but booked it for our departure. Sure glad we did not waste the $100 because it was not needed in our case. Transfer to RIU was fun. Driver was very informative, pointing out things as we passed. He stopped at one spot which overlooked a nice bay. A couple vendors offered beer, necklaces and a few wood carvings. No pressure. Had my first Red Stripe for $4. Tasted great. Arrived at RIU at about 2:00pm after about 1 1/2 hours. Check in was very smooth and the people could not have been friendlier. Our room would not be ready until 3:00 so we went to get some lunch, still on west coast time, and the first of many adult beverages. Ate at Piccola Italia. Food was just fine. Chicken was moist, fruits awesome and icecream hit the spot. Walked back to check in and received our room number, lock and key to the room safe and a briefing on what and where things are located within the hotel. We are in the adult side fourth floor. We are so very excited with the room. Just as pictured with a nice king bed, separate sitting and tv area. Double sinks in the bathroom and a jetted tub along with shower. Not a single bug. :) Our view is worth a million dollars. It looks out over the pool to the ocean. I suggest you request a top floor room. I am currently sitting on our lani (we travel to Kauai a lot) writing this, listening to the small waves hit the sand and watching the staff clean the pool as the birds welcome the warm sun. Ocean water is just the right temp to refresh. Tons of lounge chairs both on the beach and at the pool. Tried our best to hit every bar on the property but too many and too much fun to sit and talk with the bar tenders and our travel companions. The staff has gone out of their way to make us feel welcome. We even received a call from the front desk to make sure our check-in was smooth and that everything in the room was up to our expectations. Ate dinner at the big buffet. Can't remember the name of the restaurant. Blame it on the adult beverages. Good food for a buffet. Food was hot if it should be hot and cold if it should be cold. Huge variety to choose from. Sea food to pizza. Chicken wa my favaorite but watch out for the dark sause. OH BOY it will knock your socks off!!! I wanted spicey and was told this was it. WOW was it ever. Lesson learned. Once again nice to finish the meal off with more ice cream to cool the mouth down. :) We watched a band play reggae music which a few people danced too. A couple staff members got young and old to join. After a very long day of travel, it was so nice to have a great experience on our first day. Today we plan to sit in the sun, swim and read. Oh yeah, eat and try more adult beverages.

Thought I would chime in on the negative comments regarding watered down drinks. The only one I have had was the welcome to RIU drink they make sure you have as soon as you arrive. It was refreshing but had little alcohol. Could it be because some people do not drink much alcohol? Main thing for us was it was cold and wet. Each time we order a drink we just ask the bartender to throw in a little extra _________ (fill in the blank). Everyone has accommodated us.

So far I really can't understand the negative reviews. All I can say is our first day was terrific. Those coming in the near future, don't worry. RIU is just right for what we want at least. A lot of food, sun water and of course, adult beverages.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RIU Ochi First Day.

Great, we are thinking of booking here!

Can you tell me if there is shade by the beach and the pool? And are they a lot of mosquitos?

Thanks!

Edited: 8:25 am, February 09, 2014
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
490 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RIU Ochi First Day.

I am so glad you posted this! I've been a bit concerned over some of the negative posts, but yours just put my mind at ease! I'll be travelling there solo in March also booked the deluxe side. Do you notice a good mix of people there i.e. young, old, couples, singles? Enjoy the rest of your trip and keep us posted!

NB
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RIU Ochi First Day.

Yay....sounds good...we arrive Friday...can't wait!

4. Re: RIU Ochi First Day.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 pm, February 09, 2014
Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
289 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RIU Ochi First Day.

Natalie, have been out two evenings and not a bite from a mosquito. The wind has died each evening so I would guess that if there were biting insects we would have seen them. There is plenty of shade on the beach. Many palm trees. The pool has small grass roofed huts to make shade but not too many if you want direct sun to work on that tan. We had a terrific young lady came by to bring us drinks named Josie. Very friendly and had a great time talking to her. The swim up bar on the adult side is a kick. Very good vibe and the bar tenders are a lot of fun. We just came back from the nightly entertainment which was not the best but they sure tried hard. I think my daughters dance recitals were just as good. But hey, it passes the time and was just fine. Those people are someone's daughters and sons so tried to cut them a break.

Tripper. Mix is all over the board. A lot of younger people but quite a few of us old foggies. Talked to one older lady today who had a bunch of popcorn she got from the sports bar. So fun to hear her story of the slot machines adjacent to the sports bar and how a friend was trying to decide which machine to play. Watched a father carrying his two twin girls down to the beach and when he set them down, one ran to the ocean and the other ran the opposite direction. No need for a workout room for him. We sat next to the pool on the adult side and soaked in the sun. A group of 30 something ladies were next to us having a great time together.

Ocean temp is much warmer than Hawaii but still refreshing. The infinity pool on the adult side is nice and warm but not so warm as to not cool you down. By 9:00am I was ready to take a refreshing dip. So far the RIU has been just fine.

London, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RIU Ochi First Day.

Appleguy - your posts are making me want to go to JA NOWWW (3 months until i fly out)!! So glad you are having a great time and the weather in Ochi is keeping up! Keep up the posts - they make my days at work go a little quicker :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RIU Ochi First Day.

I'm so glad you posted AppleGuy, thank you! 12 day countdown for us!! So excited! I'm completely ignoring any and all bad reviews!!!

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
289 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RIU Ochi First Day.

jatraveller and maplekitty, we had a wonderful day today. Sunny all day and hot. Pool was so refreshing. Really did very little except to relax and set up a tour for shopping to Ocho Rios for tomorrow. Wife and sister are really looking forward to it. Brother-in law and I are looking forward to some more adult beverages and a little pool time. We have reservations to Mammee Bay restaurant TONIGHT SO WILL GIVE A REVIEW TOMORROW. The entertainment for this evening is suppose to be a beach party and tomorrow suppose to be a drum band. will also give my opinion on both tomorrow. getting use to the time difference between west coast and Jamaica so review may not be as early as the first few days we were here. Besides, much more important to make sure the wives are set up to shop than writing a review. This has been a real nice vacation so far but looking forward to getting out of the resort and exploring Ocho Rios. New report tomorrow. No worries.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RIU Ochi First Day.

Don't worry about the reviews AppleGuy, unplug and enjoy your vacation!!

East coast
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: RIU Ochi First Day.

Sounds wonderful. first trip to Jamicia coming up in March! excited!!