We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Ochos Rios or Jewel Runaway Bay or Hilton Rose Hall?

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
159 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Ochos Rios or Jewel Runaway Bay or Hilton Rose Hall?

I was hoping to get some advice. We are looking to go to Jamaica to celebrate our anniversary this November. We will be traveling with another couple who are celebrating their anniversary as well.

We are trying to decide between these three resorts. We have never been to Jamaica before, but have been to AIs in Mexico and Dominican. We are in our late twenties and early thirties.

We are looking for a hotel that has a nice, swimmable beach (ideally no water shoes needed) that we can walk along for a while, really good food (I know that is subjective but at least a few dinner options- I hate hotels that limit the number of a la carte dinners), at least one bar that's open late, nice and clean rooms, kids are fine but ideally not a million of them running around lol, and friendly staff.

Which hotel do you think would be our best fit? I will be posting this in the forums specific to the other hotels as well.

TIA!

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Ochos Rios or Jewel Runaway Bay or Hilton Rose Hall?

@Gem, let me throw an additional hotel into your mix, take a look at Jewels Dunn's River. It is adults only with a nice range of ages and activities to suit your tastes. It is located 10 mins from Ocho Rios and major attractions and only 1 hr 20mins from the airport.

Toronto
Level Contributor
159 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Ochos Rios or Jewel Runaway Bay or Hilton Rose Hall?

Thanks for the suggestion! We looked at it and it looks fab but it is out of our budget. Thanks anyways Glen!

Lansing, Iowa
Level Contributor
186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Ochos Rios or Jewel Runaway Bay or Hilton Rose Hall?

Jewel Runaway Bay has a fabulous beach! Beautiful swimming area, reef nearby to snorkel by, long area to walk down the beach.

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Ochos Rios or Jewel Runaway Bay or Hilton Rose Hall?

In that case Gem I will endorse Jewels Runaway Bay, inspite of being a family resort, it is least likely to be overrun with little ones. It has a nice beach and in case you are a Golfing enthuisiast, the course is right across the street. It is also 1 hr 5 mins from the airport and 25 mins from Ocho Rios and the major attractions. Geographically the location gives you great access to quite a bit of Jamaica. Hope that helps.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Ochos Rios or Jewel Runaway Bay or Hilton Rose Hall?

I've stayed at JRB and Hilton (not Riu) of the two I stayed at I preferred JRB. Hilton is "nicer" but JRB has MUCH better beach, better food and friendlier service. What I preferred most was JRB has more of a resort feel, Hilton I felt like I was staying in..well a Hilton.

6. Re: Riu Ochos Rios or Jewel Runaway Bay or Hilton Rose Hall?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 01, 2014