We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking Laws.

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking Laws.

Is there anyone out there who has a firm grasp of what the new smoking laws are in Jamaica?

I know this question has been posed in other forms, however, it always seems to end up in a debate between smokers and non-smokers.

There are a few areas that are confusing to me when I try to research this topic.

1. Can you smoke on your balcony?

2. Does the interpretation of the law differ depending on what resort you are staying at?

3. Does this apply to all types of smoke?

4. What about on the beach? Around the pool?

Again, can we please just try to answer the questions and avoid a debate?

Thanks!

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Smoking Laws.

Oxford, it's tiresome reading your judgmental, boring comments over and over again. If only everyone would just behave like you want them to!!

New England
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Smoking Laws.

Thanks mficke!

We are staying in the manor house. I don't think it's going to be a huge issue one way or the other, but it's good to know before hand so the expectations are clear :) the way I figure, we will be enjoying morning coffee, a mid day snack and an evening night cap on our balcony. Being able to smoke on the balcony would be a convenience for my bf, but if its not an option I'm thinking there will be designated smoking areas near the main buildings on both sides and maybe scattered around the grounds. Like I said, we won't be going until April, so who knows what will change by then!

Any and all info is helpful! Hopefully we can get Yeamonn's question answered, sans BS!

53. Re: Smoking Laws.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, August 12, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Smoking Laws.

Being "respectful" may have a different meaning to some. For example, trying to hijack every discussion on the forum with your personal opinion on smoking (yeah, it is crystal clear that you hate smoking etc etc, ad nauseum) can also come across as disrespectful to some.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Smoking Laws.

Hey LivingInThe603, we will be staying at the manor house in September. I can report back with my findings!

Mountain Top...
Level Contributor
605 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Smoking Laws.

Well the report i got back from Jewel Dunn's River Resort from the concierge was......its just like the laws in the states..no big deal at all..Here is there response...

Smoking is allowed on the resort in designated public areas (non-covered areas) and room balconies.

Please feel free to contact us should you have any further questions or queries.

Regards,

Edited: 5:00 pm, August 12, 2013
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
57. Re: Smoking Laws.

on my balcony has ash trays, but is worded in the welcome book that there is a smoking area in the lobby for smokers. the rooms are no smoking!! as for what you smoke i would assume all and any tobacoo goods are welcomed. they want you to spend money they really dont care what you do! As for the marijuana, I am not quite sure their laws exactly, but Workers, attendants, bus and taxi drivers alond with the little man walking the beach selling trinkets have all one time or the other offered to sell me. The one guy on the beach, when I deniedd the marijuana, he offered hash, then coccaine, then X. So it is really loose and the natives dont seem to care! if you tip anyone a $10 US or 1,000 jamaican, they are yours for the rest of your trip whenever you need something or see them.

New England
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Smoking Laws.

Yeamonn, great! I'm not sure if anything will change before April, so I'll be certain to check with the resort before we go. We chose the basic room category. We aren't too worried because its the one we chose, but I don't see a lot of information about it. I guess either no one chooses it, or it's not worth talking about! We figure we will just be there to sleep, nap and snack. We are right down the hall from the manor bar, etc. Have a great trip! Let me know how it goes, please! :)

Islandbwoy, I assume if the ashtray is on the balcony, you can smoke out there. I do understand no smoking in the room. We live in New England and my bf never smokes in the house, even in winter. It just lingers and stinks up everything. Thanks for the smoking area info for the lobby. That will be convenient.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Smoking Laws.

i have been told by the Holiday inn that all rooms and balconies are non smoking and they have designated a couple of areas for smokers. I have to say for us being 2 smokers that is not good enough so we have actualy changed our holiday for next June and going to Dominican Republic instead. I think they need to think what harm this can do to the tourist trade as we are probably one of the first of many that wont visit any more (after being there 6 times).

To make it worse for us is that when you get of the plane following a long haul flight you can not smoke outside near the coaches as police are on patrol and stopping people from smoking there to.

We are both smokers but always show reapect to non smokers by not smoking in eating areas or enclosed areas wher non smokers are around. Non smokers do not show me that kind of respect.

The Jamaican prime ministers latest statement is that smoking wil not be allowed in any enclosed area ie: hotel room, as people have to enter that room later such as room maids to tidy up or bar staff to clear away glasses, and he is protecting these people from entering an area wher smokers have been.

When you arrive after your long haul flight and go for a smoke in the coach park you will be stopped by police who will not allow you to smoke as it is a public area. Anywhere classed as a public area or enclosed by a roof like on the balcony or beside a wall is classed as enclosed so smoking is not allowed, Smoking is also banned from public places (a beach is Public) ?? You can find info on this is the forums here, facebook pages or try reading the Jamaica gleamer on line where the latest info appears regulary.

I am not paying good money to have to hide in a corner somewhere so that i can smoke.

I can just see us getting out of bed early in the morning ready for a smoke but have to get dressed first and make our way to some isolated smoking area Sorry not for us, so bye bye my old friend Jamica (been going since 1996)

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Smoking Laws.

Just curious why you'd give up on a whole island because of one resort? Not all of the resorts are being as strict on smoking. Have you checked any other resorts?