We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers SGR

Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First Timers SGR

We will be at the SGR 7/28-8/4. We have both never been out of the US or never to a Sandals resort. Any pointers on customs, tips of must haves in our suitcase or any other nice little insider tips would be great!!!!

College Place...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timers SGR

Must bring a "bubba keg" or something alike for drinks, all drinks are free but you can keep it colder longer in an insulated cup!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
358 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timers SGR

Be sure to have pens in your carry on for customs forms that are filled out before landing.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timers SGR

Remember that you are on island time and things just don't happen as fast there. Also, treat the staff with courtesy and a smile and you will get it back ten fold.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
814 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timers SGR

-This is kind of a no-brainer, but lots of sunscreen and bugspray. Also little sundry items like ibuprofen, allergy medicine, aloe, etc...You can buy anything you forget in the giftshop but it's marked up X10.

-We bring a beach bag/backpack for the sunscreen, bug spray, books, coverups, t-shirts, etc...We're staying on the manor side (leave in five days!!!) so we're going to want to be able to pack up some stuff for heading to beachside.

-Bring singles and fives for tips for luggage porters and airport transfer driver as they are not Sandals employees.

-Water shoes. These are a must for us. Love going in the ocean, but don't want to step on any angry creatures or sharp rocks.

Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timers SGR

Thanks everybody!!!!

How bad is customs? I've heard scary stories!

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
814 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timers SGR

Last year we cruised through. I think we got lucky--week day around two, I don't even think we stood in a line for more than two minutes. Five years ago it was a little longer but not so bad that I remember being annoyed or anything. I believe that they have worked on trying to increase speed of moving people in. If you are going on weekend and are worried about it you can opt for Club Mobay arrival. Little pricey, but they fast track you through everything:

http://clubmobay.com/

Both times we've barely had time to drink a beer in the lounge before our bus was ready. Those trips were to Negril and Whitehouse, but I can't imagine Ocho Rios would be every different.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
358 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timers SGR

We waited quite a long time (maybe an hour or so?) on a Thursday around 2pm two years ago, and then barely at all (20 minutes?) last year on a Friday at 10:30am. There is a site I have seen posted in the forums a million times (but don't know off the top of my head) where you can look to see how many other flights are landing around the time yours lands... maybe someone else can post the link? And I'm sure it's not too hard to find with a search...

If there are several planes landing with yours, it may be worth it to you to purchase Club Mobay... We're landing around the same time this year as last, (13 days!!!) but booked the arrival/departure package... even if it saves us 20 minutes, that is 20 minutes earlier I am getting started on my vacation! :) Will see if it's worth it or not for future trips... I think the departure will be, just for the more comfortable sitting area if nothing else.

And to 2nd Eastsider- make sure to take 1 more bottle of sunscreen than you think is reasonable. And for OTC, not a bad idea to take something for upset stomachs, band-aids, neosporin, anti-itch for bites that get past the bug spray... basically, I create a little first aid kit and its come in handy.

Richmond, Texas
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Timers SGR

This is where you can see fight arrival info for MBJ: flightstats.com/go/…

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Timers SGR

Flightstats is a great site, but don't get too lost in it. Keep in mind that your flight might be delayed or come in early, and just those few minutes can change how many people are in front of you. This last time was the worst the line has been for us in years, and it was only 35 minutes. That was on a Friday around 3, and we were delayed an hour with those Air Traffic Control issues back in April. Don't worry about it. It is what it is, so just be happy you made it to Jamaica :)

Definitely fill out your card completely on the plane. You will be able to pass people in line just because they didn't fill their s out.

I forgot my deoderant one time (a must have in Jamaica, lol!) I had to buy a small one for $8 in the gift shop, just to give you an idea of the prices.

Be sure to put a swimsuit and a change of clothes for both of you in your carry on bag. If you arrive at the resort before check in time, you can start swimming right away. And if your baggage was lost, at least you have another outfit.

And have a wonderful time!!!

Shediac, Canada
Level Contributor
440 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Timers SGR

Hello, you need to fill one customs card per person.

Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios
Recent Conversations