We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the room differences at SGR?

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
90 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
What are the room differences at SGR?

I've booked the Honeymoon Bougainvillea Hideaway Poolside One Bedroom Butler Villa and then saw the Bougainvillea Hideaway Poolside One Bedroom Butler Villa for the same price, same pics, same services ,etc. What is the difference unless its just a name difference, which makes no sense to me? Also, I've seen on the website that butler can reserve chairs for you in the pool areas and beach but I've read reviews and post that say that this isn't the case anymore? Understnadable if there are so many butler rooms but I just want to clarify. Also, for those who have been to SGR, any recommendations on restaurants and menu choices as well as favorite drinks? Thanks!

Shediac, Canada
Level Contributor
440 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the room differences at SGR?

Hi, I believe that it's the same room. That's the category that we stayed in and it was really nice. The resort is so huge and the butlers have many clients that they can't reserve your chairs at the pool or beach. We used to go and reserve our chairs before heading for breakfast. Our favorite was Valentino's for dinner. It's an Italian restaurant with typical Italian menu. Our favorite drink was...I forgot the name...but it's red, white and blue. Also Red Stripe on a hot day hits the spot.

Have a great time, Nicaribbean

Washington
Level Contributor
271 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the room differences at SGR?

I wonder if it is top level vs.bottom level. Bottom level is true walk out semi private pool, if you're upstairs you have to walk all the way around the side of the building to get to the pool deck, we really loved the bottom level, made great friends with the neighbors. Also they always have a "drink of the day" posted around the resort and in the daily breeze, we tried them all but mostly stuck to rum and cola, Enjoy!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
90 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the room differences at SGR?

Ok, thanks! I don't like beer unfortunately so I'll be sticking to the rum mostly :)

Tully, New York
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
750 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the room differences at SGR?

Cancer, Is that for a June/July person? The rooms are basically the same. The "honeymoon" may have a slightly better view but the perks are the same. Ja was correct that some rooms would require you to "walk down stairs and around the building" to get to the pool. That didn't bother us on our visit last April though a slightly better view for the inconvienience wasn't a big deal to us.

As far as which restaurant is better that really depends on your preference. Go to the web site and check out the menus. They may be different by a bit when you get there but it will give you some idea. When you get there and roam around you will find current menus in each of the main buildings (but will have both sides listed).

Enjoy and have a great time.

Tully, New York
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
750 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the room differences at SGR?

I meant to add that as you, I am not a "beer lover" though I do occasionally have one. The butler rooms have a "mini bar". Mini does not refer to the size of the bottles rather the "selection'. If you have a preference on what you prefer, say, Jack Daniels instead of the scotch they provide, put that in your butler preferences. If they can in anyway accomodate you they will.

Also do not be shy to ask for what you would like to you butler or any of the staff. If they can they will provide.

I have heard that the butlers no longer provide reserved lounges but on our last trip (with a butler room) we never really needed that. We had the "semi private" pool like you will have and when we went on our own to either the Manor pool or over to the Riviera side we never really had a problem finding a lounge. And that was during Reunion week when it is really busy.

If you have other specific concerns, send me a private message and I will try to answer them.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the room differences at SGR?

That is the room I've always stayed in, and while back in 2006 it used to be called a Plantation Honeymoon Villa (Sandals likes to play the name game every few years, lol!) I know no true difference between the Honeymoon vs non Honeymoon one. And actually, each villa is set up differently, too. We have been in villa 54 several times, and we were on the bottom our first year, and it was a smaller room. It didn't have a seperate living area or bar area. The following year we were still in villa 54, but one of the upper level rooms, and it has a seperate living and bar area. As long as you book either Bougainvillea room, you should have the extra space. We prefer the top floor because then you have a balcony. The bottom floor walks out onto the pool patio, so it is not really the same as having a private balcony. Both are fine, but we prefer the top.

Butler service for all the villas just started in February, so we haven't been there since, but it is true that they don't reserve pool chairs. With so many Butler rooms now, every chair would be reserved! I think it's better this way, and we are late risers and bounce around all day and never have an issue finding a chair. The only place that ever has full chairs is the Riviera pool, so we normally head to the hidden pool right around the corner (it is a deeper pool, too), or just do the Ochi Beach Club on that side. Almost every chair at SGR also has an umbrella which we really like.

All the menus will be posted in the Manor lobby by the Marketplace restaurant, or on the Riviera side by the Island Routes desk in the main building. You can check those before you head to a restaurant to make sure there's something you want. Our favorite is probably Soy. My husband loves sushi, and I love the vegetarian spring rolls and the tempura. The service there is also wonderful! You can stop there before dinner as an appetizer, or it can be a meal for the night.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
90 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are the room differences at SGR?

Ok thanks for the information everyone! We are so excited, this will be our first Sandals (or AI for that matter) experience. Since we are going in November, should we consider the blue chip insurance-- for hurricanes?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are the room differences at SGR?

Travel protection is always a good idea and most definitely during hurricane season. We get the Cancel for Any Reason version as then it is our decision whether we want to cancel based on weather and we are not required to have a "covered" reason.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What are the room differences at SGR?

The Blue Chip guarantee is just a Sandals thing now, and that comes regardless. Trip insurance is extra, and I would definitely get it! October/November is a very iffy time for hurricanes! SGR got hit very badly by Sandy last year, and I arrived the day it reopened. I would also recommend a "cancel for any reason" insurance because I could not change my booking last year since the airport was not closed on the day I was scheduled to arrive, so my insurance didn't cover it. Sandals was not helpful in allowing me to change resorts, or even up front about the damage of the resort, so I would not rely on the Blue Chip alone. However, that was not in place last year. The CEO was nice enough last year to give anyone staying at SGR during the storm a free week since the resort suffered so much damage, but that didn't help me since I didn't arrive yet.

Not to worry you. I am scheduled to go to SGR again this November ( I know, stupid, lol!) but I did get he cancel for any reason waiver this time.

Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are the room differences at SGR?

I have stayed at other AIs before my first Sandals. Do not expect what you get here anywhere else! Just saying, you have spoiled yourself for all other AIs lol. Hope you have a wonderful trip. Will be at this resort Nov 6 myself, first time at SGR, and even booked the same room cat, so I want your (our) trip to be unbelievable, and I feel sure Sandals will do their part.