We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from Riu Ocho Rios to Ocho Rios

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
492 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Walking from Riu Ocho Rios to Ocho Rios

Ill be travelling by myself and wondering what people know about walking off resort in general to Ocho Rios or more specifically from the Riu Ocho Rios. How far? Walk? Taxi? Tks!!

United States
Level Contributor
11,933 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking from Riu Ocho Rios to Ocho Rios

"more specifically from the Riu Ocho Rios. How far? Walk? Taxi?"

It is a bit under 5 miles, one way, from the RIU to downtown Ocho Rios. The route to town follows the main highway around the island (lots of cars, lots of trucks, lots of tour busses). For most of the way there is no sidewalk. I would not walk into town. Take a taxi to visit Ocho Rios from the hotel.

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking from Riu Ocho Rios to Ocho Rios

Traffic along the road from the Riu to Ocho Rios is very busy. I don't think it'd be an enjoyable walk. You can get a taxi at the resort. Another option is to catch one of the buses that takes resort guests into town shopping.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
492 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking from Riu Ocho Rios to Ocho Rios

Great tks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking from Riu Ocho Rios to Ocho Rios

WALK GOOD MAN !

Enjoy the experience at least once...Walk slowly, take some water, refresh on route...Get some exercise and smell the fresh air and truck fumes ...

On route Don't miss Scotchie's , (tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g147312-Ocho_Rio…) a short walk out of the main gate ... turn left, and it's just past the petrol station. The best jerk out of Notting Hill Carnival !!!

Also deffo check out Evita's ( tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147312-d1… )up the hill on the right as you go past the helicopter rides on the entry to Ocho Rios town center...

Also try to find the little locals waterfall on the right opposite Dolphin Cove. Thank me later :o)

Make a friend of a staff member and get them to take U to a local club or Sunday nite beach party- U'll be paying for all of the drinks n cab but it will be an unforgettable experience.

Happy Travels :0)

5. Re: Walking from Riu Ocho Rios to Ocho Rios

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 22, 2014