We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Grande Riviera

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals Grande Riviera

Hi Everyone, we just booked our honeymoon at the Sandals Grande Riviera and can not wait to get there!! We have been to Jamaica twice and can not wait to go back.

Just a few questions.....

I have seen pictures and videos of some Chinese lantern ceremonies. Is this a common occurrence at Sandals? Or just for weddings/ special occasions.

We have booked a basic room on the manor side with no mini bar etc. but plan on upgrading once we get there. Will this be an issue? We will likely spend most of our time on the beach dude, how much of a pain is it getting down there every day?

Any other tips/ secrets that made your vacation that much better please feel free to post as well.

Thanks in advance!

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera

We have asked for bottles of champagne at the bar many times, even being Concierge because we would finish it in the evening after they filled our fridge, and we'd want it for the next morning. As long as they have enough bottles at the bar, they will give you one. Keep in mind, this is champagne or wine. They will not give you a bottle a liquor because of the inventory, and they sometimes need to account for the empty bottle. If you get a Concierge room, you will notice the bottle is actually labeled with a sticker showing it is a bottle for rooms.

If having liquor really concerns you, you could buy a bottle in the US, pack it in your suitcase, and bring it to Jamaica. The duty free before Customs should be a great option, too, but it either wasn't there in April, or I missed it. I haven't checked it out yet, but prices on cigarettes are better, too, I have heard.

A bottle of Cocomania is $9 at MBJ airport, and is $18 in the Sandals shop I believe. Appleton Estate is about $25 at the airport, and like $34.99 in the gift shop. Don't quote me, but we always check, and it is much more expensive at the resort shop.

Also, depending what day you arrive, you get your free bottle of Appleton at the Select dinner you could also drink, if you're a return guest.

Lynchburg
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera

Hi! I just had to chime in and say that my fiance and I arrive at SGR Sept. 16 as well! We are staying for a week and will be celebrating our honeymoon there. We are super excited because this is our first Sandals experience and first time to Jamaica. Any advice is appreciated :)

Tully, New York
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
755 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera

BSB you didn't "miss" the duty free shop because they are located on the departure side of the trip. Near the gates for departing flights. On arrival you have Immigration, baggage pickup, customs and then the lounge area.

The times we did not have concierge or butler we would get double or triple shots, straight up, and take them to the room to have something there. Then transfer it to empty water bottles or whatever. The bottles for the concierge and butler rooms do have stickers on them.

I have read where some have gone off grounds to a liquor store and purchased their choice. I have no idea of the pricing. Maybe that is a better idea than using water bottles, lol.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,859 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera

TullyNY, you have missed the threads here about an arrivals duty free operation between immigration and customs.

Recall it is near the Sangster International Airport (MBJ) cambio (which should be avoided). It is more-or-less in a hallway until a permanent store is prepared.

Has not been open all that long.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera

@Tully There is a Duty Free store on arrival now. I am very excited to see it! I have a friend heading there soon that can hopefully check it out for me and see if Cocomania is there.

Going to the liquor store across the street is a good idea. I haven't done it yet, but if we want a bottle for the room, it must be cheaper than the resort shop. We typically do what you do, and get a bottle of champagne from the bar, and just get a cup filled with Appleton or something.

Punxsutawney...
2 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera

We will be there from sept 11-18! It's out first trip and would love a complimentary upgrade but will be happy with some time to ourselves at a beautiful resort no matter the room. Safe travels!

Punxsutawney...
2 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera

We will be there from sept 11-18! It's out first trip and would love a complimentary upgrade but will be happy with some time to ourselves at a beautiful resort no matter the room. Safe travels!

Texarkana, Texas
Level Contributor
78 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera

Enjoyed your video. We will be honeymooning in January and can't wait.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
823 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera

We have gone to the PetCom across the street from SGR that has many things to purchase.

40. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 08, 2014