We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SGR or Whitehouse?

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
massapequa, ny
Level Contributor
208 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
SGR or Whitehouse?

How different is the drive to SGR compared to Sandals Whitehouse? Are there any quiet spots at SGR or is very busy everywhere on the resort? Thanks for any info!

Tully, New York
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
750 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SGR or Whitehouse?

I cant answer the drive question as we haven't been to SW yet. AS far as quiet spots there are are lots of them on both sides, but more so on the Manor side. We would bounce back and forth during the day. Staying on the Manor side we could just sit on the balcony of our villa and enjoy the view. If you like busy, the pool during the day and manor lounge later would pick up but daytime on the sea side near the beaches was usually rocking. The pool near the Reef restaurant was a little calmer.

Level Contributor
382 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SGR or Whitehouse?

The deck on the west end of the beach was our favorite spot. Little day beds were usually available. All the villas are now butler level. They no longer reserve spots anywhere at beach or pool. I would stay on the riviera side for calm spots in the day and more nightlife in the evening.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: SGR or Whitehouse?

About the drive: I assume you're coming from the Sangster Int'l Airport in Montego Bay...? Both resorts are about 1.5-2hrs away from the airport (depending on the driver and traffic). The drive to SGR is mostly on paved highway, which is a pretty smooth drive. The drive to SWH is up-hill, with quite a few curves and some parts of the road are still being paved by the government. However, it is a very scenic route as there are some gorgeous views from the mountain top.

Portage, Michigan
Level Contributor
79 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SGR or Whitehouse?

Pretty much same length of time to the 2 resorts. SWH being more mountainous and curvy; SGR more a straight shot. Both paved roads.

SGR has multiple places to escape! Gardens, pools, firepits. If you get a villa, you will have a pool. I find it very rare that the other rooms (up to 3 per bldg) ever use the pool! Lots of activity, but not in your face because of size. Option to participate or chill. Good mix of everything.

Beach is nothing like SWH, however. Small and very narrow in front of Riviera Bldg. The renovated Beach Club area has the better beach. (Deeper). A lot more tour options from Ocho Rios as well.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
66 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SGR or Whitehouse?

I agree with everyone else. The drive is a little less than 2 hours to both with SWH being bumpy and along windy roads and SGR being a smooth ride through some of the larger towns/cities. We enjoyed them both. SGR is a party resort and SWH is more quiet and laid back. The beach is way better at SWH; at SGR the beach is quite frustrating at times ( small, choppy) so if you are a beach/romance person, I'd recommend SWH but if you are looking for more of a party with beach and romance secondary than I'd recommend SGR. There are plenty of quiet spots at the resort though but you can't miss the party!

6. Re: SGR or Whitehouse?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 07, 2014