We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pack for a Purpose - School Supplies

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Innisfil, Canada
Level Contributor
540 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Pack for a Purpose - School Supplies

If anyone is interested this is a great site if you are looking for suggestions as to what to bring to dontate to local schools in Jamaica.

packforapurpose.org/docs/destination.shtml

We used it when we went to Sandals Grande Riviera in November and the items were very well received. If you do not want to do the excursion to visit the school Sandals will accept your donation and make sure it gets to the school of your choice for you.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
943 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pack for a Purpose - School Supplies

We use similar lists and pack two large suitcases full of stuff it goes over well.

Just make sure you leave a note at the resort if leaving gifts that they are gift or else they won't get through security with them.

Also Over the counter meds are I desperate need.

Innisfil, Canada
Level Contributor
540 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pack for a Purpose - School Supplies

Never thought about the over the counter meds.

We will be visiting again in November and will make sure to include them as well!

Jamaica
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pack for a Purpose - School Supplies

Hi Milandrslove,

Which property will you be staying?

Innisfil, Canada
Level Contributor
540 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pack for a Purpose - School Supplies

We will be visiting Whitehouse. First time to this property. The reviews are very good so we are definately looking forward to it!!

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pack for a Purpose - School Supplies

I use to take a suitcase full every year, but have found that many things can be bought cheaper in the area then even back home. This cuts down the size of things I bring. for instance just purchased math set(protractors, compass, right triangles ..ext) for 80JMD . Now some things like glue markers and others things are still cheaper in the states but this lightens the load and also spreads money to the local businesses of Jamaica at the same time. I want to say personally THANK YOU for thinking of not only yourself and your fun while vacationing, Great things are not possessions but acts of caring and kindness!!!!

Innisfil, Canada
Level Contributor
540 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pack for a Purpose - School Supplies

This is why I love tripadvisor - I always learn something!

I never even thought to purchase the items locally to help stimulate the Jamaican economy! What a great idea. Dj - we usually stay in Ocho Rios when we visit Jamaica. This time we will be staying at Sandals Whitehouse. I have seen many of your posts and you seem to really know Jamaica - would you happen to know if there would be any areas close to Whitehouse where I would be able to purchase items locally? I am definately not familiar with this part of the island! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pack for a Purpose - School Supplies

That is one part of the island I am not familiar with. Although I would say to stop at maybe a couple places on the way . The little shops that look like that they have nothing you want ... well those usually do ;). Expand the way in which you think about shopping and a whole new world of Jamaica will open up to you!! Good Luck

8. Re: Pack for a Purpose - School Supplies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 14, 2014