We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Royal Plantation - Just a few questions

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
4 posts
Save Topic
Sandals Royal Plantation - Just a few questions

A buddy and I find ourselves planning a trip for four to celebrate the 40th birthdays of our lovely brides. We've settled on SRP in August.

A few questions that come to mind...

It looks like booking a "peacock" suite is where you have to go to get a full balcony. My wife loves the balcony idea, but is it worth the extra $1000?

The two guys definitely enjoy cigars and scotch. Are there cigars available at SRP, or should I bring my own? Any idea of what kind of Scotch is available? I'm fine with the Macallan 12 neighborhood, but if there are better choices (or more aged) I wouldn't want to miss out.

While we love the idea of the smaller, calmer resort, my wife is concerned that the two beaches at SRP look a little cozy with the number of chairs. Any reassuring words?

Thanks to all! Looking forward to our trip.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Royal Plantation - Just a few questions

We stayed in the St Ann Honeymoon Suite. We loved it because the balcony was large. It had loungers plus table and chairs for dining plus a couple of occasional chairs. Additionally there was an outdoor kitchen set up--fridge, sink,coffee maker, etc.

IMO the 'cost-benefit' analysis comes in to play. Just how many hours daily do you plan to use it?

Coffee in the morning

Breakfast

Before/after dinner drinks

Reading

Room service

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Royal Plantation - Just a few questions

Oops--forgot to mention Scotch. I recall seeing Chivas behind the bar--I'm sure they have more than one premium brand.

The east beach is quieter than the west side. We found it didn't feel crowded at all.

WESTERN PA
Level Contributor
32 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Royal Plantation - Just a few questions

Just returned from SRP - only spent 3 full days there because that is all the time my wife and I could get off work. She made all of the arrangements and opted for the 'french' balcony, which is not really a balcony at all, but two sliding doors that open to 7 or 8 feet. We spent very little time in our room except for prepping for dinner and sleeping, so we did not miss having a balcony. Granted we were only there 3 days, so we did not feel closed in. (and we enjoyed having our meals out in the resort and mingling with other visitors as well as the waitstaff and even chefs). The west beach is a little cramped, and if you want a chair, you must reserve early. They were still working on the pier off the west beach(Hurricane Sandy), but I suppose when that is completed, some more chairs may be situated there - just like the pier off the east beach. The east beach is less crowded. I had no problems securing chairs early - and when we went to the beach after breakfast, there were still spots avail. The watersports 'rental' is located on the east beach so there is a little more activity, but both beaches are equally quiet. The beach butler seemed to be more available on the west beach - closer to a bar area also.

I cannot answer the scotch question - settled on rum punches during the day and gin martinis by night.

We took the catamaran excursion (snorkeling and Dunn's River Falls) out of SGR which is right next door (highly recommended) and were glad to get back to SRP - it is very large and the beaches did not appear any nicer.

That sentiment was echoed by other guests who went over to SGR to look around or try one of the restaurants there.

My wife has already talked about starting a special savings account for our return trip!

Enjoy

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Royal Plantation - Just a few questions

@Towski, SRP ussually has good scotch and there is a gift shop on property that has good cigars. Town is about 10 mins away and you can get an array of Cubans as well as Jamaican cigars, if you are into cigars look for a rum or coffee dipped that may work for you.

5. Re: Sandals Royal Plantation - Just a few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 02, 2014