We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Jewel or the Riu?? Advice please!

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Slaughter, Louisiana
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
The Jewel or the Riu?? Advice please!

hi! i posted this in a less active forum and am reposting here in order to get some advice! thanks!

HI Guy! we are planning our ten year wedding anniversary. I think we have narrowed it down to Jamaica (originally from Punta Cana, St Lucia, and nevis...i would love nevis but there are no all inclusives and we are on a budget)

I have been researching myself to death and it is now at the point

where i just have to make a decision and go with it. Sooo. what is better Riu Palace or Jewel Dunn River's falls resort? We want all inclusive, don't care as much about night life as long as there is a good bar to have a drink at in the evenings. We like to go and do outdoorsy things like hike and raft. Advice appreciated! thanks! ps- we would love to be somewhere where the water is amazing...but being in jamaica when you are used to the gulf of mexico is already going ot be amazing ;)

- if you have a suggestions about a better place or better area please let me know@ we really want to visit dunn's river falls. ;)

Edited: 6:18 pm, February 20, 2013
wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Jewel or the Riu?? Advice please!

The RIU is a newer property in Ocho and has a nicer beach. We stayed at the Jewel when it was Sandals Dunn River.

I thought the beach was really small and at the time they didn't allow you to walk off the property to the Riu area which was close so I felt very confined because the beach was so limited.

We have stayed at other RIU properties in Negril which we loved.

Because of the beach and the fact that it is newer I would choose the RIU they are right next door to each other and neither resort is far from Dunns Falls.

If you choose the Jewel Im sure you will be happy it was a nice hotel but the beach is soooo limited from long walks.

Ontario
Level Contributor
710 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Jewel or the Riu?? Advice please!

i just returned from my 3 rd visit to The Jewel (have not posted my review yet). The Jewel and Riu are side by side. There is not a doubt that I would pick The Jewel. It is much smaller resort with beautiful rooms, all inclusive and Adults Only. Please private message me if you like. You can look at my previous reviews.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
965 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Jewel or the Riu?? Advice please!

The Jewel.

When we were staying at the Jewel I met several couples who were staying at the Riu and ended us transferring over to the jewel because they didn't like the food, loud music, etc.

Slaughter, Louisiana
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Jewel or the Riu?? Advice please!

I have looked at so many that i think that they are all running together in my mind! Is there another one that might would be even better? My only concern about Jewel is everyone has said that the beach is small. The beach is our main reason for going. The pools look nice- but I am sure that we will spend the majority of our time at the beach. Are there sunbeds? What about the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton (It is in montego bay). Is it worth the extra money to go to Secrets or Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? I know absoulutely nothing about Jamaica and I know that this will be the only trip we take for a while (two small children, work, etc keeps us from traveling to far) and i want it to be wonderful!

thanks you guys!

ontario
Level Contributor
56 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Jewel or the Riu?? Advice please!

We just came back from the RIU and had a wonderful time. We spent most of our time on the beach and it was great. There was never a shortage of chairs etc.....food was great and so were the drinks......we found the entertainment loud at night but we just went to our room and had drinks on our balcony looking over the ocean :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: The Jewel or the Riu?? Advice please!

We stayed at The Riu in Ocho Rios in November and had an amazing time. It was also so close to The Dunns River Falls and Dolphin Cove. There is a quiet pool and a more livelier pool, depending on what you want. The Beach is quite big and very clean. The food was great and the entertainment was amazing. I don't think you will be dissappointed if you choose this resort. Happy Anniversary!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Jewel or the Riu?? Advice please!

The Grand Pallidium is in Lucea. Its the opposite direction of Ocho and is closer to Negril. There are no other resorts in Lucea and the Pallidium is also only a few years old. It sets off by itself a long way from anything.

Visiting Dunns from there would take a much longer drive.

If you want a fantastic beach look at the resorts in Negril. Although a trip to Dunns would take the entire day to visit.

In Negril which I have been many times recommend

Sandals Negril

Couples Negril

Couples Swept Away

RIU Tropical Bay

RIU Negril

Rockport...
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The Jewel or the Riu?? Advice please!

The Riu has the bigger beach but the Jewel is Adults only. While the Jewels beach is small it is very nice, plenty of room for the guest, never crowded. Plenty of spots in the sun or shade. The Riu is a much larger, livelier resort. They are kind of opposite types of Resorts, all depends on what you want from your vacation. They are right next to each other, maybe you could split up your stay between the two?

Slaughter, Louisiana
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Jewel or the Riu?? Advice please!

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I am not dead set on visiting dunn's river falls...i just heard good things about it and if we were going to be in that area then i didn't want to miss it. has anyone stayed at the Riu Tropical Bay in Negril? The reviews seem to be mostly positive but the people who didn't like it did not like it at all. I heard that Negril had the most amazing beaches.

Slaughter, Louisiana
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Jewel or the Riu?? Advice please!

I guess my next question would be: If i take location off the table (the only stipulation being that it is in jamaica) where would you reccomend for a late 20s early 30s married couple who loves the beach and are looking for somewhere to spend their ten year anniversary?