We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Royal Plantation or Maui

Sparta, Tennessee...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Sandals Royal Plantation or Maui

The wife and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary in June. I have booked a week at the RP, I have not paid the balance yet and am getting cold feet. I can basically go anywhere in the world, within reason, for the amount I am spending. Can anyone offer any advice? Will we love the RP? We have never been out of the US. We will be flying from nashville or atlanta. Any tips or reccomendations are appreciated. Thank you

Sparta, Tennessee...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Sandals Royal Plantation or Maui

The wife and I sat down tonight and looked over everything. She has determined that the royal plantation may be too uptight for her a d she didn't like the beach size. She seems to like sandals whitehouse Jamaica. Can anyone give me an opinion on it.

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Sandals Royal Plantation or Maui

I think Jamaica has a whole lot more to offer, and I am not just saying that because I am Jamaican. For a preview of SRP watch Robin Williams' Licence to Wed. Also Jamaica offers quite a bit more interms of attractions if you decide to do tours.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,655 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Sandals Royal Plantation or Maui

lol...my opinion on Sandals Whitehouse is that it is our #1 favourite Sandals of all Sandals! Each time we stay is equal to or better than our last. We've been many times and in fact were just there in November, went back in Jan/Feb and are heading there again next week.

SWH fits the bill for us in so many ways...lovely large pools, each with their own personality; a fantastic private 2 mile beach; very good food with a variety of restaurants to chose from; terrific friendly service from wonderful staff and a very engaged management team.

Each room at SWH is ocean front. The large piazza is the social centre of the resort and in the evening you can sit around the firepits (on the piazza and on the beach too) and listen to music, dance under the stars or stroll the piazza with a drink in hand. Entertainment options are available in the martini bar, the cabaret, the beach and the piazza. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and it is easy to find a quiet spot to relax. The sunset views from the French and Dutch Villages are breathtaking...from the Italian Village you can see the sunrise and depending on location also see the sunset. My avatar shows the sunset view from the French Village.

The ride from the airport is 90 minutes (it would be roughly the same if you went to SRP) and the road is bumpy and winds through the mountains. This can be a deterrent to some...but as someone who suffers motion sickness, I can say it really isn't all that bad...it has never stopped me from going, as the destination is so worth it! The resort is also remote (this is a positive for us) and so you wouldn't just walk off resort for shopping or sight-seeing. But there are lots of things to see nearby for which you can book an excursion....YS Falls, Black River, Floyds Pelican Bar, Appleton Rum Factory to name a few.

Not all resorts will suit all people...but we haven't found a better match for what we enjoy than what we've found at SWH. We are introducing our friends to Jamaica and the Sandals experience and it goes without saying that SWH is the resort we've chosen to do just that!

I have lots and lots of pics...if you are interested in seeing them, just send me a PM and I'll provide you the links to the albums.

Edited: 8:33 am, February 16, 2013
Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Sandals Royal Plantation or Maui

It's a shame you and your wife are having cold feeT about SRP. It's so quiet and restful and that's why my husband and I love it so much. We have a large family, busy jobs and a week or 10 days at SRP just lets us forget about everything. We just like to lie on the beach reading a book. My husband does the snorkelling and we go out on the glass bottom boat but other than that - we sleep, eat, drink and sunbathe - bliss. Even if you decide not to go this time, I really would say consider going another time - you really will love it. The food is great and anything you want, they will cook for you. It's very laid back and everyone, staff and guests, are all so friendly, but also back off if you want lots of time alone. And as for the price, we paid the equivalent in English POUNDS for our 10 day trip that you are paying in dollars - and it doesn't put us off - we just save up all year for it!

Edited: 11:17 am, February 16, 2013
25. Re: Sandals Royal Plantation or Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 18, 2014