We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from airport to SGR?

Fairport, New York...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from airport to SGR?

What is it like getting from the airport (we fly into Montego) to the Sandals Grand Riveria Ocho Rios resort? My guess is the resort transfer happens once or twice a day so we may end up sitting at the airport for several hours waiting for other flights to arrive. (We arrive at 1:33pm on Sat 3/16.) Can you do anything while you're waiting? Or is there any way to get/pay for our own transportation to SGR and not wait for the resort bus transfer?

Thanks!

Jenn

Mentioned in this post
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Karandas Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Marvyn's Paradise Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, River Rafting & Tubing, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Bus Transportation
United States
Level Contributor
12,629 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from airport to SGR?

"What is it like getting from the airport (we fly into Montego) to the Sandals Grand Riveria Ocho Rios resort?"

It is a senic drive along the north coast of the island east from Montego Bay. Sit on the left side of the bus for views of the sea.

"My guess is the resort transfer happens once or twice a day so we may end up sitting at the airport for several hours waiting for other flights to arrive. (We arrive at 1:33pm on Sat 3/16.)"

The wait is normally only a few min., not hours. You are arriving at the peek time of day on one of the peek days of the week for arrivals. Bus transfers will depart frequently.

"Can you do anything while you're waiting?"

Relax in the Sandals private airport lounge.

"Or is there any way to get/pay for our own transportation to SGR and not wait for the resort bus transfer?"

Yes. Sandals will arrange for a private transfer for you. Plan on it costing about $200, one way, for the two of you. You can also click on 'The List, Drivers, Taxis, and Tour Companies' at the upper right of this screen for a long long list of companies who you can pay for a transfer.

Mentioned in this post
Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from airport to SGR?

We have never waited more than 15 minutes for the shuttle to SGR ---- just enough time to use the restroom and grab a Red Stripe in the Sandals lounge and off we go!!

Fairport, New York...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from airport to SGR?

Cool, thanks for the quick responses! We've only been on one vacation (a cruise 2 years back) and so I've been trying to research and read online about our resort, and I've found SO much negative stuff - I was getting really worried about everything.

So I'm glad for this fast, positive feedback!

Thanks-

Jenn

Tully, New York
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
769 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from airport to SGR?

Jenn,

We only had one instance where we waited more than 15 minutes in a small van. I went back inside and we were put on a full sized bus and left a few minutes later.

Just so you know the trip is about 90 minutes and usually they will make one stop for about 15 or 20 minutes.

thevinne is correct about the $200, or more, cost for a private transfer through Sandals. Lots of choices for alternates with the list he mentioned. Most around $90 one way. Lots of them with excellent reviews. The advantages is 'check in' at the Sandals lounge, so they know you will be on your way, get a cold drink and then go out and meet your driver. You stop only if you want to.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from airport to SGR?

Busses run all day, so you will absolutely not have to wait hours! We normally go to the bathroom, grab a drink, and they're ready for us! The whole drive is paved and way better than it used to be, so it is really an easy drive. Does take about 90 minutes though, like said above.

No worries about bad things at the resort. We've been there 6 times and absolutely love it! You can look at the Fans of Sandals Grande Riviera facebook page if you'd like to, too. Lots of pictures, etc.

Oooh, this is my 1000th post :)

Edited: 2:29 pm, February 13, 2013
Tully, New York
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
769 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from airport to SGR?

BSB, i will be waiting for Fedex to pull up with the champange you will send so we can toast your 1000th. congrats :-)

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from airport to SGR?

Tully, that sounds like a fantastic idea! Bottoms up! :)

Did you see the news about the free wifi?

8. Re: Getting from airport to SGR?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 15, 2014