We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car needed in Ocho Rios?

Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
car needed in Ocho Rios?

We have booked a room at the Shaw Park Beach Hotel, and I am wondering if we will need a car? We are not staying all-inclusive, so we will want to go to town or to other restaurants. We are flying into Montego Bay Airport, and if taxis to Ocho Rios are super expensive, it probably makes more sense to rent a car. (but I have no idea of the cost of either taxis or rental cars)

Also, I would love any recommendations on favorite restaurants or excursions as this is our very first time to Jamaica!

Thanks,

Kristina

Mentioned in this post
Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa
Shaw Park Beach Hotel...
541 Reviews
Jamaica
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Toscanini Restaurant
$$$$, Italian, Caribbean, Seafood
Juici-Beef Patties
$, Caribbean, Fast Food, Jamaican
Miss T's Kitchen
$$ - $$$, Caribbean, Healthy, Jamaican
Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: car needed in Ocho Rios?

Shaw Park is relatively close to the town centre so getting around shouldn't cost that much. The average taxi fare will probably run you $5 which is a lot less comparable to any city in the U.S. You will be able to walk to most of the spots as it is not that far. Make sure to visit Dunn's River Falls, Dolphin Cove and Shaw Park Gardens. All are within a ten-minute drive from your hotel. The best restaurants in Ocho Rios are Evita's (Italian), Almond Tree, Little Pub and The Ruins (Jamaican). Also check out Island Village Shopping Centre for the best shopping, clubs and cinemas. There is a Margueritaville there as well.

Mentioned in this post
Dolphin Cove
Dolphin Cove
3,055 Reviews
Jamaica
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Island Village
Island Village
173 Reviews
Jamaica
Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car needed in Ocho Rios?

FYI, we paid $100 for a taxi ride to the Montego Bay airport from Ocho Rios.

Mentioned in this post
Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
10,203 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car needed in Ocho Rios?

Hello kristina,

Please contact the Shaw Park Beach Hotel for a price quotation to collect you on the day of your arrival.

Also you can send a request to www.jcaltours.com as they also have a taxi stand at the airport.

Once at this lovely hotel you will not need a car.

p.s. When in Jamaica please remember to always show respect to the citizens. This will be given back to you tenfold and then everyone will be happy. They are the warmest, kindest and most hospitable people in the world. Please give them the chance to show you this. They are the real gems of the tourist industry and are the main reason why visitors keep comming back to Jamaica.

Keep far away from the demanding and abnoxious people who feel it is necessary to be loud and rude to the local citizens.

I wish you a happy visit filled with memorable and positive experiences. ENJOY!

Mentioned in this post
Shaw Park Beach Hotel...
541 Reviews
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car needed in Ocho Rios?

Honeygirlsugar,

I noticed you are in Alexandria, VA. We are also in Northern Virginia! Would love to chat with you ... my email is petalutha@yahoo.com

Mentioned in this post
Ossining, New York
Level Contributor
93 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car needed in Ocho Rios?

Shaw Park Beach Hotel booked us a round trip taxi from Kingston for $200 round trip. It's a long ride!!

Mentioned in this post
Shaw Park Beach Hotel...
541 Reviews
Jamaica
Kingston
Kingston
Jamaica
Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
10,203 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car needed in Ocho Rios?

Hello bookwoman,

I am so happy that you were able to get the hotel to make the taxi arangements to meet you. That price is excellent.

The ride will take about two hours and is filled with panoramic views of the mountains and rivers. Sit back and enjoy it.

Stop at Faith Pen which is the half way point and enjoy a meat or veggie patty with a red stripe beer or some delicious fruits. Even the coconuts will taste great.

Here is an article that I found for you.

Shaw Park Hotel set to achieve 5-star rank

Nagra Plunkett, Staff Reporter

WESTERN BUREAU:

SHAW PARK Beach Hotel and Suites in St. Ann is geared towards achieving five-star status after it repositioned itself as a key player in the island's hospitality industry with its US$3 million (J$183,000,000) renovation plan.

"The magnitude of deterioration that the property had was unbelievable. We've done a fair job but there is still a lot more to be done," said Ernie Smatt, chairman of the hotel's board of directors.

Mr. Smatt boasted that the oceanfront property has great potential and its appeal is further advanced with its ideal location on Cutlass Beach in the resort town of Ocho Rios. The chairman was speaking at the grand reopening function for the 94-room hotel that is maintained on 22 acres of beautiful tropical gardens and white sand beach.

CONTRIBUTED - From left: Executive chef at Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Suites in Ocho Rios, Mark Ricketts, serves a colourful array of foods with help from Delroy Brown and Colin Lindo, Jamaican chefs visiting from The Cayman Islands. The three were on the buffet line at the ceremony to officially reopen the property.

National Security Minister, Dr. Peter Phillips, who brought greetings on behalf of Prime Minister P.J. Patterson hailed the renovation as "a fine example of local effort and teamwork."

"With a strong team of owners, management and staff, this great hotel has proudly involved the local community on an ongoing basis in its everyday operations," he added.

Minister Phillips' remarks were complemented by Dr. Wykeham McNeill, state minister in the Ministry of Industry and Tourism, who said that Shaw Park's 'new beginning' comes at a time when international tourism is showing great promise.

SIGNIFICANT TO OCHO RIOS

"Shaw Park has been a landmark property here in Ocho Rios for over 40 years and its reopening is not only of great significance to this resort town but to the entire Jamaica ... The reopening of the property embodies so much of the history of Jamaica's tourism development," Dr. McNeill added.

In a kind gesture, the hotel made a presentation of $10,000 to nine-year-old Tiffany Evans, a grade four student at the Priory Primary and Infant School in St. Ann. Tiffany has been a good news story since last December after handing her teacher $10,000 she found in a bathroom at her school. The honesty of the little girl, who comes from a humble background, has warmed the hearts of the Ocho Rios business community. She has since received many job offers.

ENJOY!

Mentioned in this post
Shaw Park Beach Hotel...
541 Reviews
Jamaica
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car needed in Ocho Rios?

The driver who took us out for 3 tours in Ocho Rios (as well as to the MB airport) was GILBERT, and his cell is: 489-1291 and his home is: 975-0749. Wonderful guy, older, wise and a VERY SAFE DRIVER (important in Jamaica).

Mentioned in this post
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Pittsburgh PA
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: car needed in Ocho Rios?

Our cruise ship spent only one day in Ocho Rios Jamaica and my husband

> and I wanted to maximize our exposure to Jamaica. Through the

> internet, I had the good fortune to make arrangements with Lebert

> Watson, a local guide who has been in the business for many years.

> Lebert met us at the cruise ship dock with an airconditioned car. He

> also owns a van for larger groups and is a considerate driver (rare in

> Jamaica). When asked what type of things we wanted to do, we informed

> Lebert that we hoped our tour would focus solely on the natural beauty

> of Jamaica and we would be willing to undertake anything he might

> suggest. Our one request was that we wanted to arrive at Dunn's River

> falls before the mobs from the cruise ship. Lebert even had tickets for

> the falls which allowed us an easy entry and an opportunity to climb

> them without the crowds. Next,he suggested a drive into the rain forest

> and Fern Gully, hooking us up with a an excellent guide for an

> informative hike into the forest. Following that excursion, he drove us

> through scenic landscapes and villages where no tour bus could venture

> (in fact we encountered only two other cars). We ended up at a local

> restaurant and were served some excellent jerked fish. Lebert's

> knowledge, expertise and friendliness made our Jamaica visit a highlight

> of our cruise. For the entire tour, the charge was $100. Lebert can be

> reached at leberttours@hotmail.com or through the website

> www.jamaicataxitours.com. His telephone # is 876-974-6011

Mentioned in this post
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Fern Gully
Fern Gully
485 Reviews
Jamaica
Jacksonvile, FL
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car needed in Ocho Rios?

petalutha-

I just came back from OR and we took an ATV excursion with Chukka Cove Tours. Wow, I've done Dunns River Falls too, but the ATV tour is different. It was my wife and I first time on a 4 wheeler and it was easy. So, If you want to see Jamaica from the top of a moutain, then the ATV tour is a good way. Also, I would not encourage anyone who is not familiar with the country and its rules to drive. Eventhough the people are pleasant, they drive aggessively and on the opposite side. Most of the roads are one lane and drivers are allowed to overtake you. So, it may be worth spending the $$ on a taxi.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
baltimore, md
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: car needed in Ocho Rios?

Get a local taxi service or excursion. I would'nt want to drive a car in Jamaica. First thing they drive on the otherside of the road. The roads are tricky and lord forbid you get lost in a ganja field - they are protected by armed guards and they don't like tourist getting too close. I'm not sure where Shaw Park Beach Hotel is, but if you get a chance you should'nt miss the Luminous Lagoon. Its a nite time boat ride thru one of the worlds natural wonders - just amazing. The lagoon glows at nite and the water just sparkles like diamonds. Something to do with the mountain water running into the salt water - makes some kind of organisms or something. Only one other in Indonesia. The Luminous Lagoon is on the north side of the island between MoBay and Falmouth.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Shaw Park Beach Hotel...
541 Reviews
Jamaica
Falmouth
Falmouth
Jamaica