We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deep Sea Fishing Charters in Ocho Rios

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
110 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Deep Sea Fishing Charters in Ocho Rios

I will be staying with a group of 6 at the RIU in Ocho this January and I want to plan a deep sea fishing trip for us.

I spent a few days searching online and haven't many reputable looking companies to book with. Island Routes looks the most reputable that I have found but they're by far the most expensive and they are owned by Sandals, I'd rather put the $ in the pocket of a local where I can.

My biggest concern is safety (well maintained boat, life jackets etc.) followed by comfort. Ideally they would pick us up at the resort beach and cost no more than $850 for the half day.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Ocho Rios
Hotel Riu Ocho Rios
9,218 Reviews
Jamaica
60 replies to this topic
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Deep Sea Fishing Charters in Ocho Rios

$600 for a half day at sea and a fish dinner. Money well spent.

Edited: 1:54 pm, December 12, 2012
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Deep Sea Fishing Charters in Ocho Rios

We just went fishing with Speedy's outfit. We caught nothing but a boat full of seasick vacationers. It was a really expensive four hour boat ride with everyone vomiting. I regret spending the money.

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Deep Sea Fishing Charters in Ocho Rios

Having just gone out with Speedy I can not recommend him to anyone.

We were picked up from our resort by a big ogre looking guy who seemed to go out of his way not to speak to us as we drove to the marina. Once there the ogre spoke to tell me that he was the guy I paid.

After paying him we ended up on a different boat (the Justina) than I was promised. The boat was very loud and anyone not sitting up top with the captain was choked with diesel fumes.

There was free beer but no one could drink them because no one could get up from where they sat. We were taken out into what looked to be 15' swells and this would turn into a 4 hour roller coaster ride. I'm not very experienced on the sea but I'm pretty sure the water was too rough that day for such a small boat.

The deck hand said our bait should be at about 6' deep but captain kept the boat at full throttle the whole time which caused our bait to drag along the top of the water most of the time. Needless to say we didn't catch anything.

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Deep Sea Fishing Charters in Ocho Rios

Any advice or reassurance welcome!! Feeling a bit worried now as we have paid $150 deposit for a half day trip with Jamaicafishing.com for Februray 2013. We have booked with Howard on Marlin Mania and really hope that we get what we are expecting for the $700 that we will be parting with? Found it really hard to track down deep sea fishing trips as not much info online about them. We welcome any comments :-)

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Deep Sea Fishing Charters in Ocho Rios

I hope your experience is much better than ours was. I'd say definitely check the maritime report for that day before you go out. If it looks rough, you're better off losing $150 and enjoying the rest of the day rather than spending $700 on a rocky boat ride.

Information on deep sea fishing in Jamaica is certainly sparse so please let us know how your trip was afterwards.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Deep Sea Fishing Charters in Ocho Rios

Thank you Four20AllDay, we will check the weather. Very nervous as its such a lot of money. We won't cope if the sea is rough . We fished in Mexico and it was an amazing experience. Wonder if its worth putting a post on and asking others but don't want to upset anyone that might be reading this that's involved with the charters or they might use us as bait!! Lol

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Saint Louis...
2 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Deep Sea Fishing Charters in Ocho Rios

We'd like to deep sea fish in Ocho Rios in Oct 2013. I was wondering if there were any additional comments for this thread.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Blackfalds, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Deep Sea Fishing Charters in Ocho Rios

went fishing with speedy in ocho rios on the whaler one we went ot 2 diffrent times once on april 20 and then again on april 22 the first day we got a really nice maui maui the second day was gold we brought in a 200 pound 8 foot marlin another big maui maui and a dorado all in a half day of fishing speedy is the man he will try his best to put you on fish we had a blast call speedy to go deep sea fishing in ocho rios

contact info is tel 1-876-367-8342

email shaltonwhyte@hotmail.com

boat name is whaler one

Blackfalds, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Deep Sea Fishing Charters in Ocho Rios

Sorry boat name is justeina again speedy is the man you want to go with

Blackfalds, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Deep Sea Fishing Charters in Ocho Rios