We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Ocho Rios: Theft

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
542 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Ocho Rios: Theft

So here I am just about to book the Riu after debating about which hotel to stay at and I read a review from Sept. 5th about a woman who's safe was broken into while she slept! Aparently she says there were other rooms broken into besides hers although I don't see any other reviews saying so. Should I be scared especially since I am going alone and book elsewhere?

Cavendish, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cayo Coco
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Riu Ocho Rios: Theft

No, I talked to another traveler in the DR who showed me their milockie and I purchased mine when I returned home.

I think they are a must have for anyone who travels. With it I feel confident

my passport and money are safe.

You do have to purchase a new combination lock.

A small price for security.

Edited: 11:30 am, September 13, 2012
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
355 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Riu Ocho Rios: Theft

If you have a long razor/boxcutter you can slide it between the safe and the back panel and slice the fabric cord that is providing the tension to keep the safe closed. Then you can simply open the safe.

However, it takes extra time to do so, so in the end the device still provides an extra level of deterrent.

23. Re: Riu Ocho Rios: Theft

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 24, 2013