We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving into Jamaica in evening

9 posts
Save Topic
Arriving into Jamaica in evening

Can anyone share advice on what it's like to arrive at the airport in Montego Bay after 7pm. We are going August 11th. Thanks

United States
Level Contributor
13,232 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving into Jamaica in evening

The last time I arrived after 7 PM everything worked the same as when I arrived earlier in the day on other trips, only it was quicker.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving into Jamaica in evening

We arrived at 11.30 pm last year after a 15hour delay,the airport was deserted

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,458 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving into Jamaica in evening

You should get through fast. You'll miss the lovely view landing and going to your destination, though the lights of MoBay would be pretty, the interior is usually pitch dark :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving into Jamaica in evening

for several years most of the Delta Atlanta flights to MBJ left around 5-6 pm and arrived at 7-8 pm. We got very spoiled with the short lines (sometimes no lines) . Never had a problem getting to our shuttle. The ride to Negril in the darkness was pretty unnerving for people used to driving on the right side of the road.

Edited: 12:01 pm, July 17, 2012
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
215 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving into Jamaica in evening

Night time is the best time to arrive at MBJ because all the big charters arrive in the afternoon! Last time it took me 20 minutes to collect my luggage and pass immigration.

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
183 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving into Jamaica in evening

We flew in last Sat evening at 7p. It was light enough to see the airport, etc as we were approaching, but by the time we did everything else (lines not long at all) & got out to bus, it was dark. We waited over 45 min for bus to fill up (JTL), so next time we are going to make arrangements for prvt transfers.

Have fun!

9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving into Jamaica in evening

Thanks everyone!! I feel much better!!!

Lake Villa
Level Contributor
338 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving into Jamaica in evening

Never arrived at night but have departed late 7:30 p.m. and the place seemed rather dead. Check in went fast so I would assume entering Jamaica would also be fast.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
665 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving into Jamaica in evening

The airport is pretty dead. Landed there after 7 back in December and flew in and it was pretty cool to see the city all lit up. We were through and out to the shuttle within like 15 minutes.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
9,716 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving into Jamaica in evening

I met a group who arrived in Negril after 11 and they said it was great. No lines and they didn;t mind the darkness of night drive.

PEACE!