We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fishing in jamaica

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
fishing in jamaica

i am planning to come to jamaica and i would like to do a little fishing...i may stay in the ocho rios or runaway bay area..is it possible to find some fishermen that can take me for a fishing day?

Shiner, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fishing in jamaica

Ya mon,Just get up REALLY early and go to da beach and ask around.Theres alot of spear fishing though-just give them some gas money and a little tip,I can find out of a fisherman in Ochie if needed.

Edited: 10:02 am, June 07, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: fishing in jamaica

why only a little tip?and what is exactly a little tip? cause i think people are supposed to have a decent pay if they take me a whole day to fish! i don t think gas money and a tip can make a man shop a decent basket for his family!

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,642 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fishing in jamaica

Most fisherman don't go out for the whole day. They may go out for a couple of hours in the morning. Or set nets and check them later.

Are you looking for a charter boat that will take you fishing or just to go out with one of the locals on his small boat? I'm sure if you find one of the locals to take you out, he'll negotiate a price with you or be very gracious of whatever you offer him.

Shiner, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fishing in jamaica

^^^agree

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: fishing in jamaica

is it true that sometimes there is some exageration in what the people are requesting?some friends told me that for bringing them on one roof facing bob marley mausoleum they requested 15 dollars us!

after that it is hard to believe that people are thankful for whatever you give to them, the problem is to know the right thing, not too much not too less..

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,642 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fishing in jamaica

I don't really know what you are asking. If someone got on a roof near the Bob Marley mausoleum, then it was something not included in the usual tour, so they probably did ask for some cash. Either that or they were taking them to see the crop that grows by the compound and were asking for money to see it. And nine mile is a tourist attraction. They are going to try to make money from you.

A fisherman goes out every day. All you can do is ask. They may be willing to take you for free, they may give you a price. It really depends on the person you ask, how you ask, etc. Some would probably do it for free, some would probably ask you for money. So it really all depends.

Montpellier, France
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: fishing in jamaica

in st anns bay you can go the fisherman beach and ask any fisherman, they may ask 2000 jamaican dollars to take you with them gas included..

8. Re: fishing in jamaica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, June 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios
Recent Conversations