We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunn River

Media, PA
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Dunn River

Can anyone tell me how long you spend at Dunn River? Is it an all day thing where you should bring a change of clothes. We leave Feb 17th and I am so excited. Can we rent watershoes at the River and how much are they? I don't want to run out and buy something my boys will never wear again.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dunn River

Yes, you can rent the shoes, I think for $5.00. I'm not sure where you are staying, but it's a 2 hour drive from Montego Bay. So, you might want to bring a change of clothes for the ride back to the hotel. You can spend as much time as you want there unless you go on a tour and then they will rush you through it.

I'm not sure how old your boys are, but when we went, we did not use the tour guides at the falls. They try to force them on you, but it was not necessary. We took our time climbing and had alot of fun.

Jamaica, WI
Level Contributor
395 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dunn River

Hey there T3, I'm not sure, but I think they close at 5pm. I guess you can consider that the whole day : )

Yes, you can rent the shoes there and I too would suggest that you take a change of clothes for the ride back. Who knows what you'll feel like doing when you leave Dunn's River feeling all refreshed.

Irie : )

J&J
Naugatuck...
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dunn River

I just went to Walmart during my lunch today and picked up water shoes for me and my husband ($4.83 each) along with some flip flops to match my bathing suits. I definitely don't want to use shoes that everyone's wet feet have been in and we will use them again and again at the resort while enjoying the watersports. For less than $5 a pair, you can't go wrong! ...

Chicago, IL
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dunn River

Would you take a 75 and 7 year old to this?

minnesota
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dunn River

Hello mom

I seen some older ladies going up the falls (60's) I would strongly suggest a guild they will take as much time as the person would need, as far as the 7, go for it

It takes about an hour at least thats what it took us, taking our time

God Bless

Curt

Chicago, IL
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dunn River

Thank you!

Media, PA
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dunn River

Thanks everyone! We are staying in Ocho Rios and we are planning on taking the tour from the hotel (Beaches Boscobel). J&J did you just get your watershoes from Walmart? I am having a hard time finding summer stuff out right now here in Philly (just Eagles stuff all over). I have a Walmart not far from me I will try there. I really didn't want to rent them because I agree that is gross. My boys are 13, 15 & 17 so I assume we can do the falls without the guides. I am so looking forward to this trip I heard great things about Dunns River!

J&J
Naugatuck...
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dunn River

Yes, I just went yesterday, Feb. 2nd. There was a new shipment of water shoes on the shelves. Good selection. I live in CT and they are starting with the Spring "stuff". You still have 2 weeks before you leave. I'm sure they will have them in PA soon also ...

Enjoy you trip and tell us all about it when you get back!!

Media, PA
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dunn River

Thanks so much J&J. People like you with great suggestions are what makes these message boards so Great! I will check out Wal-Mart

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
823 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dunn River

mom- I have seen old and very young walk up the falls and I guess it is how bad they really want to do it. Health, afraid of water, etc.

One time I did see a boy around 5-7 years old just terrified and crying up the falls and I felt so sorry for this boy.

I offered his mother to have him get off on the side (I was on the walkway going up along the falls) and I would watch him but she refused. I can understand that with not knowing what can happen but I am sure this boy will never do it again.

I know for sure they have a couple of spots that you can go to the side and leave the falls. Some spots are tricky where you can walk and go down further than you think.