We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Returned from the Jewel Today

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
204 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just Returned from the Jewel Today

We just returned from an AMAZING week's stay at the Jewel Dunns River. If anyone has any questions, I would be more than happy to try and answer them :)

Mentioned in this post
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Jewel Dunn's River Beach...
6,268 Reviews
Jamaica
Sydney, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Returned from the Jewel Today

I have been reading the recent reviews and people are recommending to get an upgraded room. Was this your experience? We want a nice clean room and would be thrilled with a free upgrade if it was available at the time but we dont plan on spending too much time in our room. What would you recommend to bring? Thanks

Sydney, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Returned from the Jewel Today

I have been reading the recent reviews and people are recommending to get an upgraded room. Was this your experience? We want a nice clean room and would be thrilled with a free upgrade if it was available at the time but we dont plan on spending too much time in our room. What would you recommend to bring? Thanks

Edited: 8:47 pm, March 05, 2012
Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
204 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Returned from the Jewel Today

We took the basic room, which had a mountain view. It was very cost prohibitive for us (an extra $400/person) to upgrade to ocean view, so you can see why we chose the basic room. We don't spend much time in the room anyway, and we were more than pleased with the room. Friends that we met there stayed in the oceanview rooms and loved it.

Other than the basic holiday staples, small $$ for tips and a sense of humor, you are ready to go!!

We absolutely loved this resort! The staff are amazing - from the groundskeepers, to the housekeeping crew, to the dining crew, to the entertainment crew - they are always asking if you are okay, if you need anything. This is so much different than any of the other resorts we have stayed at. They really care if you have everything you need and that you are enjoying your vacation.

Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
675 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Returned from the Jewel Today

Welcome back! Glad you had a great time. We're headed there at the end of May-Here are some questions;

Were there places where one could be quietly secluded away from crowd to just relax ?

How did the airport transfer go as far as wait times etc?

Not so much Jewel related but how hot and crowded was the airport and what days did you travel?

What was your favorite part?

How were the bugs (bees, sand fleas, mosquitos)?

Any tips are welcome!

I think I asked enough questions ! LoL

Thanks!

Edited: 9:21 pm, March 05, 2012
long island,ny
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Returned from the Jewel Today

We stayed at the Jewel for 2 weeks this past January. There are 2 pools and 2 hot tubs ones without activities is quiet. There are some places on beach with less people. Look for small beachfront by the pier, hammocks past the emerald buildings ,very quiet. 3rd hot tub in the spa,empty.

We only waited about 10 min for transfers to leave airport. We arrived at 10am on a Wednesday. Last year the tranfers left as soon as I got on the bus at noon on a Tuesday. IT takes about 1/12 hr to get to the Jewel, 20mins more if people want a pit stop.

My favorite part of the stay is how well layed out the Jewel is, you meet nice friendly people ,staff and guests. The Jewel has the best staff of any hotel I've every stayed at. They make you feel like your staying with friends.

long island,ny
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Returned from the Jewel Today

Answer to the bugs, I'm allergic to bees and they are around the sweet drinks at the bar. I put in my order stepped back and never had a problem. NO mosquitoes or sand flies even at nite at the beach parties.

We always take the least expensive rooms and the only real difference in the Sapphire building is the view and we out of the room all day and nite so it doesn't matter.

We'll love the Jewel it's a very special place ,can't wait to return and see our friends there.

Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
675 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Returned from the Jewel Today

Thanks! Appreciate all the answers. Looking forward to our trip there!!!

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
204 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Returned from the Jewel Today

We flew in Monday morning, like 6:30. Immigration was super fast - we were the only plane, which was really nice. Our bags were already off the carousel waiting for us, so we grabbed them and then were on our way. We were directed to the Sunquest desk (our travel carrier) who confirmed our reservation, and then pointed us in the direction of the Jamaica Tours Limited desk, who confirmed our transportation, both to the Jewel and return.

We waited outside about 15 minutes, then boarded the bus and we were gone. It did take about 90 minutes to get to the Jewel, and we didn't stop - our choice. We were eating at the breakfast buffet by 8:30. We were super impressed by how smooth everything went. I would definately fly that early again.

Departing was super easy as well. Our flight left at 7:15 am so we were picked up by 3:40 am. Yup, that's early, but it was okay because we didn't have to see all the happy faces enjoying their day!! We checked our luggage and when through immigration and security in all of about 10 minutes. I don't think there was any other planes departing at that time though.

Favorite part of the resort - the size - love small resorts, and the entertainment crew - they were so much fun!

We noticed a few flies, but that's it.

There are lots of places for peace and quiet, even around the main pool. The 2nd pool is quite a bit quieter, and just as nice as the main pool. There is a swim up bar and whirlpool there as well. And pool deck waiter service. We found it quite fun to watch the activities, so we spent our time there.

Hope this helps, if you have more questions, please ask!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
montreal
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Returned from the Jewel Today

Was there much at the airport on your way home. Good Duty Free shopping and are there many shops for gifts. Are the prices ands selections comparable to what you would buy either on the beach from vendors or in town?

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
204 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Returned from the Jewel Today

There were tons of shops after security, but nothing was open at 6 am. We found Margaritaville where we could grab a cup of coffee and a few snacks.