We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just got back from the riu ocho rios

coventry,england
Level Contributor
624 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
just got back from the riu ocho rios

Hi all,

Stayed at the Riu Ocho Rios 20th dec - 3rd jan,if anybody has any questions feel free to ask,if i can answer them i will be glad to help.

Mags

New York City, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: just got back from the riu ocho rios

Hi. I'll be staying at The Riu next week. I was wondering are there any cigar shops at the resort?

coventry,england
Level Contributor
624 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just got back from the riu ocho rios

Hi,there are 2 shops on site neither is a cigar shop,1 is featured around Bob Marley the other a smallish gift shop, both expensive.

The smaller of the 2 sells jamaican memorabilia,chips,suntan oil ect.Not being a smoker i wasnt looking for cigars but they sell a small selection of cigarettes and possibly some cigars.Ocho Rios has a few shops that sell cigars ie supermarkets,however if you are looking for good cigars then there is a cigar shop at the shopping village on the way to Montego bay that will meet your needs.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just got back from the riu ocho rios

Hi Mags, we are going to the Riu at end of January for two weeks, could you please tell me if ladies are still wearing maxi dresses in the evenings, I don't want to look out of place if I take some of mine Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: just got back from the riu ocho rios

Hi Mags, what are the hotels immediately beside the Riu? I understand Sandals is one of them. Can you walk from the Sandals beach directly on to the Riu beach? Many thanks. C.D.

coventry,england
Level Contributor
624 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: just got back from the riu ocho rios

Hi Manchester pud,I dressed up everynight in maxi dresses and other evening wear,however a lot of people didnt even bother its so laid back others were just wearing shorts and sandals and that was the women.

cdencore,there is definately no sandals nearby,the nearest was the other side of Ocho Rios,if you come out of the hotel onto the beach and turn left, there is one small hotel then nothing but villas and shacks.Go right and you come to a brick wall with a hotel and dock on the other side but you cant get to it.the beach is pretty big but secluded from everywhere else.

Mags

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just got back from the riu ocho rios

Thanks for reply. Do you remember the name of the small hotel to the left by any chance?

long island,ny
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: just got back from the riu ocho rios

Jewel Dunns River. Used to be Sandals Dunns River. If your looking at the sea it's to the right of the Riu.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: just got back from the riu ocho rios

Can you walk from the Jewel beach directly on to the Riu beach and vice versa?

Many thanks. C.D.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,739 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: just got back from the riu ocho rios

swim yes, walk no... there is a pier separating the properties.

Chelle

Minnesota
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: just got back from the riu ocho rios

I read that there is free wifi in the lobby or pay for internet access in the sports bar? I was wondering do they have web cams in the sports bar to Skype? I'm trying to not to bring my laptop with. My sisters-in-laws and I are will be there Feb 10th thru the Feb 16th. We are super excited. Thanks for your help.