We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from SGOR....I will try and answer any...

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Invermere BC
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned from SGOR....I will try and answer any...

We just returned from Sandals Grand Resort Ocho Rios on Feb 11th 2006. If you have any questions I will try and answer them! Thanks

BCanadian

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
588 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from SGOR....I will try and answer any...

What was the weather like, I noticed the forecast the last week had been rain?

NH
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from SGOR....I will try and answer any...

Did you enjoy the resort? What room category did you stay in. We have a St Anne Plantation Suite booked for April. How about the tours, did you do any and which direction did you venture off to? We are trying to line up a full day maybe 2 off of the resort and are thinking of heading towards the Whitehouse area one day of our stay and then Port Antonio on another if there is enough time. More into scenery then real touristy overcrowded places.

Invermere BC
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from SGOR....I will try and answer any...

Hello!

The weather was okay. We had alot of rain, two days of sun. The days were often just overcast with rain off and on but when it did rain it poured. It was still warm though. Be sure to take an umbrella!

Have a great trip, the people in Jamaica (most) were wonderful.

Invermere BC
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from SGOR....I will try and answer any...

We did enjoy the resort, it is really big though. It has two sides, the Riviera side and the Manor side which we were on. We stayed in a villa room 7549 just off the road so we just walked back and forth to the pool. The villa was very nice, separate bedroom, living area and small kitchen which was always stocked full of pop, water, juice and red stripe. A bus runs regularly between the two resorts and it takes only a few minutes. We did two tours, the canopy tour and atv tour. The canopy tour was interesting and fun. The ride there takes time however, you go to a farm first to sign a waver before they take you up the mountain. If there is more than one cruise ship in it will be busy, we had to wait about 3/4 of an hour here. The ride up the mountain is very very bumpy with some steep drop offs at the side of the road but it was great to see the back country and where people live! You alot of walking on this tour so wear good shoes and bug repellant. My husband did the atv tour and liked it, you can swim at the end which he liked, cliff jumping. We wanted to take the Blue Mountain Bike tour but were talked out of it because of the bus ride. I guess most of the day is spent on a bus, not many people we talked to were happy with it. We did not go to the Dunns River Falls and wish we had, something to go back for! Don't go with more than one cruise ship in port though. For shopping we just took a cab from the resort. They take you to the main area and craft market(beware of people selling drugs here, they will approach you) and you give them a time and they come back and pick you up. 20.00 Us. Most of the tours run from 65.00US-100.00Us per person. We really enjoyed the Manor side, it seemed much quieter than the Riviera side which has a very small beach. The villas are very nice and remote with either your own pool or jacuzzi. We couldn't see the ocean but the gardens were beautiful. Hope this helps a little! Hope you have a great holiday!

BCanadian

NH
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from SGOR....I will try and answer any...

Thank You! This info definately helps! We were originally going to book on the Riviera side but decided no matter how far the villa's are from the beach the peace and quiet when needed would be more enjoyable. It sounds nice to have lush gardens in a peaceful environement surrounding us. There will be 4 of us and hopefully we'll be in the same villa building and can just chill out next to the semi private pool together after a long day. Looking forward to it. I would love to do the canopy tour but not so sure the rest of the group will. I don't like hieghts with the exception of doing something fun like that, the men on the other hand want nothing to do with dangling over anything in the air the plane trip will be enough lol

Invermere BC
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from SGOR....I will try and answer any...

Dear Mouse2

That is funny. I don't like heights either. I kept my eyes closed alot on the rides across and I didn't look down. I was happy to just see the guy at the end to catch me! It felt very safe though. It was nice to have the private pool area. Very quiet. We tipped our Maid 10.00 every day and our fridge was always stocked full, it was funny as we ended up with a whole case of beer one day instead of the usual four. They work hard and I know they say not to tip but we did. The bus ride from the airport to the hotel is long but they serve you drinks (water, pop, beer etc...) and it was interesting to see the countryside along the way and how people live outside the resorts. I wish we were going again! Have a fun and safe holiday!

BCanadian

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
588 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from SGOR....I will try and answer any...

When you did the canopy tour what time did they pick you up at the resort and when did you return?

Invermere BC
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from SGOR....I will try and answer any...

I think we left the hotel around eleven and got back just after five. You pretty much use up most of your day. They are open on rainy days too which surprised me, it would be quite slippery where you walk, one of the girls said it is even faster then but I found it more than fast enough already!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
588 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from SGOR....I will try and answer any...

Did you think the the canopy tour was worth it? How long is the ride to the place?

Invermere BC
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from SGOR....I will try and answer any...

Hi Kreinke

My husband thinks that we left the resort at noon, not earlier. I would say the ride was just over an hour long. To the farm, (atv and horseback tours leave from here too) was quick but the ride up to where you gear up is very winding,bumpy and narrow. For myself, because I have never done something like this before, For myself, I thought it was worth it. A few people were dissapointed because you really just swing through the forest, there are no spectacular views to see or rivers that you cross. Because it was my first time, I had fun, a few people said it wasn't "thrilling" enough where I just thought it was a great experience, something I would never do back home in Canada!