We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Jamaica.. negril, ocho rios or montego.. ?

t39
ontario
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go in Jamaica.. negril, ocho rios or montego.. ?

We would like to go to jamaica this winter.. couple (early 40's) with a 13 year old boy. Looking for a place with lots to do to entertain the teenager. any suggestions? is it smart to stay in montego and do day trips to the others?

Boston
Level Contributor
58 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in Jamaica.. negril, ocho rios or montego.. ?

I have only been to Ocho Rios, but I would recommend it as there is lots to do nearby.....river tubing, climbing Dunn's Fall River, bob sledding at Mystic Mountain, Dolphin Encounter, zipl-ining, horse back riding on the beach, etc.

Have a great time!

Clifton Park,NY
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in Jamaica.. negril, ocho rios or montego.. ?

I have been to Ocho Rios and Negril. Last year we stayed at the RIU in Ocho rios and would highly recommend it. We were close to Dunns River Falls and the view was great from behind the hotel lovely mountains and a view of the sea in front of us. The food was good and we had a chance to try scuba diving. Lots to do. I would recommend Peat Taylor Tours we were able to explore off the beaten path and go jumping off water falls. My kids loved it.! I just walked in and enjoyed the great cool water. Negril doesn't have as many things to do.

Enjoy!

Mary CliftonPark

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
5,103 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in Jamaica.. negril, ocho rios or montego.. ?

What specifically are you seeking? All inclusive, non - lots of activities, ....

For me - Negril is the spot to go and relax and hit the beach - crystal clear water like a bathtub, so beautiful! Best sunsets, nearby activities like a Blue Hole, Ziplining, YS Falls, etc....

Mo Bay is kinda central - closest to the airport, lots of activities, ability to day trip easily in either direction

Ochi is more of a town - more shopping available, more club / nightlife options, lots of excursions nearby - but not the nicest beach.

anadarko, ok
Level Contributor
893 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in Jamaica.. negril, ocho rios or montego.. ?

I've been to all 3 and prefer Ocho Rios. You can't go wrong being in Jamaica!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go in Jamaica.. negril, ocho rios or montego.. ?

I have been to all 3 but Ocho Rios repeatedly. For our family, we loved the Sunset Jamaica Grande in Ocho Rios. It's only a few minutes from town, has a water slide and lots for kids to enjoy. Ocho Rios has lots of excursions within a few minutes or hours of this resort.

We stayed at Sunset beach and Spa in Montego Bay. The resort has a water park and nice off beach snorkeling. The food was OK to good and the nightly entertainment was decent. It's close to the airport but not much in excursions to our liking.

We took our kids to Negril and regretted it. We enjoyed the cliffs but most excursions were far away. The beach was beautiful but not very peaceful for us. Our family time was repeatedly interrupted by someone selling and offering us things.

We are passsssssssssst mid 40's with 2 teens. We have been going for years, well decades to the SJG.

Edited: 11:47 pm, March 30, 2011
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go in Jamaica.. negril, ocho rios or montego.. ?

Here is my album with Negril, Montego Bay and Ocho Rios

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147309-i69-k42571…

Hope this helps

Edited: 12:28 am, March 31, 2011
Ohio
Level Contributor
579 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go in Jamaica.. negril, ocho rios or montego.. ?

You can visit the same places we would go to in Jamaica.

Some recommended tours:

YS falls

Black river safari - your son will enjoy the boat ride

Blue hole - http://blueholejamaica.ning.com/

Rocklands Bird Sanctuary

Dolphins Cove

countryside tour

For other options check out this nice list of attractions:

yourjamaicantourguide.com/jamaican-attractio…

I recommend you hire a private driver so you will enjoy the whole trip. You may contact Alrick Allen from the website above.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
907 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go in Jamaica.. negril, ocho rios or montego.. ?

My favorite of the 3 is Ocho Rios. Negril certainly has better beaches but Ocho Rios is prettier (not the town but the surrounging area with its flora/fauna); it has a more lush, tropical feel. Plus, as other posters have stated, there's tons to do. I would recommend the zipline tour and tubing on the White RIver as potential activities your family might enjoy. Chukka Tours has some great options and I can recommend the company as I've done many tours with them through the years:

http://www.chukkacaribbean.com/jamaica.php#

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go in Jamaica.. negril, ocho rios or montego.. ?

I'll concur... Ocho Rios offers the best bang for the buck when you have children... lots of things to do and see to keep a family busy!

Unless you are more do-it-yourselfers who like private villas or small hotel experiences and the teenager is very good at keeping himself occupied, I think a larger all inclusive resort like Sunset Jamiaca Grande (has a waterpark) or the Riu Ocho Rios (no water park) are best (IMO) when you have kids... higher potential for there to be other kids in the same age group for him to meet up with... For some parents that would mean the difference between hearing "i'm bored" 87 times a day, or having to go find their children and drag them to meals/trips/bed :)

hope that helps some!

Chelle

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
572 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go in Jamaica.. negril, ocho rios or montego.. ?

ochio rios gets my vote as well, stayed at the jamaica grande twice and its in a great location for things to do