We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have the Jamaican people changed?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
359 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Have the Jamaican people changed?

I am looking for opinions from people who have been to Jamaica recently. Is it just me but have the Jamaican people changed? I always considered the Jamaican people to be the nicest in the caribbean, but, this time around they almost acted like tourists are not welcomed. Is it because I am American? Upon arriving at the Montego Airport my son's girlfriend who has never been to Jamaica said, "I don't feel welcomed". What are other people's thoughts on this? Now, don't tell me you have to give respect, because I feel I go out of my way to interact with the people and am always cheerful.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Phil Lafayette Tours
Sightseeing Tours, River Rafting & Tubing, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Have the Jamaican people changed?

Withrespect,

Please tell me what you don't understand?

If can answer I will.

ONE LOVE!!

Long Beach, CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Have the Jamaican people changed?

Rastas believe that Haile Salasie, the late emperor of Ethiopia is a messenger or God. Rastas are a minority, and despite popular opinion, are frowned on by many Jamaicans. They even had a song back in the 80's called "Guess who's coming to Dinner. Naughty Dreadlock" Like this was the last person you would want your daughter to marry. But, I found them to be very kind, peaceful with no aversion to whites. (I lived with one in 1980 in Robin's Bay)

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Have the Jamaican people changed?

SweetnDandy,

What you've said is true, but the song you mentioned "Guess who's coming to Dinner. Naughty Dreadlock" is in fact called "Guess who's coming to Dinner Natty Dreadlocks" though I can't remember who wrote it at the moment. I did have a copy but it got destroyed long story, but it was'nt by my mother LOL! It was also in the 70's and was a big it.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,430 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Have the Jamaican people changed?

A few years back we had a bag snatching incident on a somewhat isolated lane, at night, in St. Mary. The family we were staying with was very upset and the dad called the police and had me talk to them on the phone to report the incident.

The cop asked me if the guy had long hair, dreadlocks. I said no and described the man (he had short hair and was conservatively dressed). He asked me again, was I SURE he didn't have long hair? He repeated this about 5 times, it was very clear to me that he wanted to blame this incident on a rasta.

But I wouldn't play along and he took his report. I hope he reported it the way I told it but he may have just ignored me and filed what he wanted to, I don't know.

(for anyone wondering how it turned out, the guy ran with the bag - which had only toiletries in it - and dropped a few things on the road as he ran, the bag ahd fallen open. These were all gathered by neighbors and returned to us. A couple of people saw the man, and I understand he had a bad day when found...I didn't ask for details.)

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Have the Jamaican people changed?

Ohliz,

Thanks for such a great example of how Rasta's have been discriminated by their own, and then some wonder why they may scream "Babylon have fi Dead". The Rasta's have suffered at the hands of the police all over the world (just for their physical appearance)and there are many stories to be told from here in the UK not only in Jamaica.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Kingston
Level Contributor
415 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Have the Jamaican people changed?

I love that naughty dreadlocks, that made me laugh. Natty is knotty like botty is batty. It is a fantastic song by Black Uhuru who are rumoured to have reformed...

southern, illinois
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Have the Jamaican people changed?

Jah no dead, Jah no dead, Jah no dead.