We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Gown - Carry-on or put in Checked luggage

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Wedding Gown - Carry-on or put in Checked luggage

David's Bridal suggested strongly to my daughter NOT to check the gown with her other luggage. Their reasoning was - don't take any chances that it won't get there or that it get damaged on the trip. How did you, or are you going to deal with this part of the many plans that go along with a wedding in Jamaica. Congrats to all.

Now the Happy...
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding Gown - Carry-on or put in Checked luggage

I got married at SGOR last March and flew US Airways. It was a pain to drag through the airport, but there was NO chance I was checking my dress..lol..So I packed it up in a huge hanging dress bag from David's Bridal and along it came with me. (I did call the airline first to double check that they were going to be ok with it, luckily they were and they were even nice enough to not count it as my carry on)

The flight attendants were super nice about it on every plane we took. They made room in either the hanging closet in the front or in an overhead bin on my flight, my connecting flight, and even on my jumper flight from Montego Bay to Ocho.

Once I was at the resort I had the dress steamed for wrinkles and it was perfect! On the way back, I made room in my suitcase since I wasn't as worried if my luggage was delayed on the way home.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding Gown - Carry-on or put in Checked luggage

Thanks Bride2Be,

We got the bag that David's Bridal sells. I am flying US Air with the rest of the family (daughter is flying out of a diff. airport) and our flight is direct so I'm taking the dress. I will call ahead of time and hope they will be as accomidating. Congrats on your upcoming 1 year anniversary. Thanks for the info

Now the Happy...
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding Gown - Carry-on or put in Checked luggage

kbj83,

I hope everything turns out as perfectly as ours did, and I'm sure that the airline will be more than happy to help you too :-) That's so nice of you to take it for her.

Congrats to your Bride and Groom. Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions. I'll answer whatever I can.

We're going back in April to celebrate (a slightly late) but wonderful 1 year aniversary! and can hardly wait...

-Meredith (Now the Happy Bride)