We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocho Rios vs Negril vs Montego Bay

Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
492 posts
52 reviews
Ocho Rios vs Negril vs Montego Bay

Hello

My boyfriend and I will be in Jamaica for my bff wedding in Negril, in April 2011. The wedding is at Breezes but we decided not to stay at the resort. I am trying to figure out where is the best place (city) to stay to do a little of everything. I figure we have to fly into (Montego Bay), want to go to Dunn River Falls (Ocho Rios) and wedding in (Negril). We will be in town for 5 days and will be visiting 3 different cities.

So where to stay?

How much would transportation run us to drive between the cities?

We are also trying to hit the beach and stay in a safe area, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I contacted a few condos and villas.

Thanks

uk
Level Contributor
867 posts
74 reviews
1. Re: Ocho Rios vs Negril vs Montego Bay

I haven't been to Jamaica yet but I have been reading and emailing tour operates alot and from what you are saying you want to do there seems to be a lot of traveling involved. Mo bay is in the middle of both the places you want to go to. Ocho where most of the tour places and Dunns falls is about 1 to 2 hours from Mo Bay and Negril where the best beaches and more relax places seem to be is the same the other way from Mo bay. Maybe you could consider staying in more than one Hotel to break all the driving up ? There is lots of great driver on here and they get back to you straight away with information and prices. good luck.

Orlando, Florida
1 post
2. Re: Ocho Rios vs Negril vs Montego Bay

you can contact Junior, he's a friend of mind who was living in the states and went back to live in Montego bay, Jamaica and does a private car service, You can always negotiate the fee. I personally preferred ocho Rios over Montego bay, there was more to do there. Dunns River fall is great, you can spend the day and even bring your own food and cooler or purchase drinks and food there. They also have a beach with jet skies, so you will be killing 2 birds with one stone. It s quite aways from Negril, I would say close to 3 hours, but check with Junior he will know for sure. I just got back from Jamaica I rented a private villa type condo. Bruce was the manager and we had a cook/ domestic engineer who we gave a tip at the end and bought our own food. so here's Junior's number for the transport, 876-365-7031and Bruce for the villa in Ocho rios-876-820-9625

Don't exchange your money at the airport you get a better rate at a money exchange business and I think you make out better when you use Jamaican money as with US dollars they give you change in Jamaican money and at a lesser exchange rate. You can email me at LF4jesus@yahoo.com if you have any further questions

Twin Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Ocho Rios vs Negril vs Montego Bay

I have been to Jamaica 11 times and have stayed at many different places. It depends on the kind of trip you want. Negril is more of a party attmoshere with a great 7-mile beach. You can walk the beach and hit many restaurants and bars and meet many locals. Ocho Rios does offer more things to do but is 3 1/2 hours from Negril. The ships dock in Ocho Rios. Dunn Falls is near by, there is great shopping, a Margaritaville and many other things in Ocho Rios. I have never stayed in Montego Bay but it is between both places and an interesting place to do things. Perhaps Breezes in Runaway Bay might be of interest. Check out Country Country in Negril. It is 2 doors down from a Margaritaville there, too. It is in the middle of 7-mile Beach and includes breakfast (great banana pancakes). Try to do some excursions and see the island and meet locals. You'll need to visit again because there is so much to see and do.

4. Re: Ocho Rios vs Negril vs Montego Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 30, 2011